Sign in to follow this  

First broken bone?

Hi Guys,

I have been riding dirt bikes for nearly 25 years and just broke my first bones. Last saturday my front wheel hit a rock and steered me into a huge tree. Result - for the first time ever I had - an ambulance ride, emergency hospital visit, green whistle, morphine and later endone. When I shoulder charged the tree I broke 2 ribs and separated my AC joint. Very painfull and I'm off the bike for at least 6 weeks, this will probably hurt the most!!

Guys, what was your first broken bone and how long riding when it happened?

Cheers

(In pain) Aussie

Shit, broken ribs hurt. Broke one of mine about 8 years ago and it still gives me trouble.

Broke my wrist up in Mammoth after riding for about a year.

Lol I've broken that many in 30yrs of racing I've lost count of which was first. If it makes you feel better know your pain. I fell off two weeks ago punched a rock and broke my 5th metacarpal on my left hand and am also out for 6 weeks. New bike and no riding = real pain. Heal up Aussie and if that's all you have done in 25yrs your really luck or ride like a pu55y  :) :):) 

MM

Edited by MartyMOOSE

Hey afc,

I hope the ribs are not still sore in 8 years!

Yea Marty I have been lucky but I mostly ride safe. Ive had plenty of injuries just not broken bones... Your latest injury sounds painfull! I'm in Brissy QLD and ride Glasshouse regularly but the crash was in Imbul state forest. Where are you?

Cheers

Aussie

I'm in Perth Aussie, its not so bad seriously I think you get used to being broken the more you are :) Its not really painful at all, ribs and shoulders hurt heaps. How was your sleep the first few nights rolling over :) :) Takes your breath away :) 

MM 

I've got war wounds from head to toe from many hard years on the bike (well, being thrown off the bike) and the only bummer is often when I've had a long day selective aches resurface. All things considered, the human body has amazing self-healing powers and can take a lot of abuse.

RZ Rob

• Like 1

My only broken bones were in '06 after 3 years of riding street bikes. 5 vertebra, 5 ribs. Ribs hurt the most! Hit almost head on by another motorcyclist who crossed the DY on a blind curve into me. Took the amberlamps ride and stayed a week in the hospital. 

• Like 1

broken ribs hurt for a long time and don't heal if you keep riding. I broke mine earlier this year in a race, saw a Dr, but basically the treatment is to do nothing in most cases, except for stay away from activities that hurt it. so, I was racing a couple of weekends later. it still occasionally hurts now, but I can sleep most nights. the separated AC is probably worse. I messed up my shoulder early last fall, and it still hurts. anyway, i agree that the more stuff you break, the less of a big deal it is. unless, of course, you get some compound leg/arm fracture, which is very serious.

Edited by cynicryder
  • Like 1

broken ribs hurt for a long time and don't heal if you keep riding. I broke mine earlier this year in a race, saw a Dr, but basically the treatment is to do nothing in most cases, except for stay away from activities that hurt it. so, I was racing a couple of weekends later. it still occasionally hurts now, but I can sleep most nights. the separated AC is probably worse. I messed up my shoulder early last fall, and it still hurts. anyway, i agree that the more stuff you break, the less of a big deal it is. unless, of course, you get some compound leg/arm fracture, which is very serious.

Yep my one before my hand was LH side Tibia in 11 pieces and fibular snapped No fun 18 months to heal :( All good now though :) 

Sounds like I've gotten off lucky; broke a rib going over the bars.  This was after riding young and coming back to the support after 30 years.  Was about four years ago...still feel it a bit from time to time.

Jim.

Edited by Jim Dettman
  • Like 1

After reading the stories I think I have been very lucky! Shit spaceboy 5 broken vertebra and 5 broken ribs - Ouch!

Yea Marty the first nights sleep was f!@#ed! I actually told the wife if the pain was the same in 2 days I wanted her to smother me. Lucky I got the endone working and the pain has settled so I'm still here but I cannot sleep in bed, I now sleep in the recliner.

I'm taking it easy at the moment, yesterday I met the boys have way through their ride with an esky cold beers, they were very happy!

Cheers

Aussie

After reading the stories I think I have been very lucky! Shit spaceboy 5 broken vertebra and 5 broken ribs - Ouch!

Yea Marty the first nights sleep was f!@#ed! I actually told the wife if the pain was the same in 2 days I wanted her to smother me. Lucky I got the endone working and the pain has settled so I'm still here but I cannot sleep in bed, I now sleep in the recliner.

I'm taking it easy at the moment, yesterday I met the boys have way through their ride with an esky cold beers, they were very happy!

Cheers

Aussie

I found that after a little while, the ribs will have a "popped in" state, i.e. there is a click and then the pain goes away, unless you move wrong and it pops back out of place. haven't found anything that helps the initial shoulder pain, except drugs and alternating cold/warm. hang in there, it gradually gets better....

Hi Guys,

I have been riding dirt bikes for nearly 25 years and just broke my first bones. Last saturday my front wheel hit a rock and steered me into a huge tree. Result - for the first time ever I had - an ambulance ride, emergency hospital visit, green whistle, morphine and later endone. When I shoulder charged the tree I broke 2 ribs and separated my AC joint. Very painfull and I'm off the bike for at least 6 weeks, this will probably hurt the most!!

Guys, what was your first broken bone and how long riding when it happened?

Cheers

(In pain) Aussie

Sorry to hear about your crash and amb. ride to the hospital, hope it all heals up good for you and you can get back in the saddle soon!

Ive not broken anything but have dis located a finger, so overall have been fortunate in that regard, although yesterday (sat) I came close to having to add something to my injury list.

There has been alittle bit of rain lately so I thought it be great to do a early morning ride since it has been weeks since Id last gotten a chance to get the 250 out for a ride. I found out again that it doesnt take that long to get out of riding shape, I was hurrying trying to get at least 50 miles in before it got hot which really means-extremely hot.

Everything was going good cruising along in fifth gear about half throttle dodging water/mud holes, then went thru a medium sized mud hole and pulled the front wheel up alittle, no problem until I see a rock about the size of a football just past the mudhole a few feet. From there the next few seconds were sketchy and I just reacted trying to dodge that rock that wasnt supposed to be there! Didnt use the brakes at all just tried to manuever to get around the rock but instead I hit it. Im not sure if the front wheel hit it or not but I think it did, and I know the rear wheel hit it because I was soon off the ground about a foot and starting to get turned to the left, like doing a small scrub but only about a foot off the ground.

I thought for sure I was going to high side and get pitched off when the wheels hit the ground but somehow it came down and got straightened out with no issue. 

Im going to have to pay attention for rocks from now on I guess, because that was more excitement than I needed on a sat morning!

Yep TDW,

That was a close one, lucky it did not take you down!

One of the things I like about the 450x is when you are in a panic situation like yours, the bike has the power and torque to keep the front wheel high and loft over obsticles, the rear will just follow especially if you keep the power on!

cynicryder,

the rib just popped when I coughed, it felt real weird then half hour later it popped back in -  bizare!

Cheers

Aussie

Jul 16 last year broke all 5 toes after 20 years of riding.  Had front end wash out and tried pulling my foot out since i knew i was crashing and made it to about the seat area but didnt make it.  Toes in dirt bike on heel they sorta met in the middle.  Needed surgery next day ended up with 2 pins a plate and 6 screws,  screws and plate still in.  Took me 3 months before i could walk without use of crutches or cane and took tell christmas before i could walk without a limp which put us into winter in New England so i wasn't able to ride for about 9 months.  While i was unable to walk correctly i was using my good leg for most of my weight and of course screwed up that knee in the process.  Its fine for riding and most things but pops and gives way when i kneel down now.  The break of my big toe is called a lis franks fracture and that's in a area of lots of movment and is almost always prone to arthritis after a injury and it hurts every now and then for no real aparent reason, unfortunatly breaks like this tend to haunt you for the rest of your life.

IMG_20130716_223240_201.jpg

IMG_20130721_200657_916.jpg

After 12 years I ended up cross rutting and shattering my wrist and tearing everything in it in September of last year took me 6 months to heal up. Just to get up and break my arm in half 3 months later in the exact same spot on the track. These things suck

1407635534164.jpg

Edited by chris45