Dirt bike coolant!

Any coolant is fine as long as its 50/50 mix. Prestone 50/50 is what i use

Well, not quite. You really should use a coolant that is silicate-free.

OP, you do understand what the Lucas Super-coolant is, right? It's not anti-freeze, it's an additive package similar to Water Wetter. You add it to straight water or your existing coolant. But don't use it without anti-freeze in the winter if you live where freezing is a risk. 

It will work fine used as a coolant mixed with straight water, just the same as Water Wetter. Water Wetter is what I run in my KX250, by the way.

• Like 4

Na, sitting in a hotel room unable to move because my daughter is sleeping 2ft from me.... It's quite time...

Nice. ?    Enjoy those moments, it won't be long before she's telling you that "You just don't understand how things are today, Dad!"....:D

I'm moving my youngest up to his college in two weeks.  They grow up so damn fast....

Thanks for the help/insight on coolants.

I kind of thought some might be better than others because when water pumpers first hit the dirt, I recall the term `klinkers`..lol something in the system/water pumps due to not using the best choice of coolant mix.

I`m in Nebraska where freezing will be a concern, so the help is appreciated.

Thank`s again.

Thanks for the help/insight on coolants.

I kind of thought some might be better than others because when water pumpers first hit the dirt, I recall the term `klinkers`..lol something in the system/water pumps due to not using the best choice of coolant mix.

The water pump problems stem from running coolant/antifreeze with silicates. Silicates are essentially sand, they are abrasives that are suspended in the antifreeze to help scrub deposits from the water passages. But they are too harsh for the tiny delicate seals and impellers in our cooling systems.Hence the advice to choose silicate-free coolant/antifreeze.

I`m in Nebraska where freezing will be a concern, so the help is appreciated.

Thank`s again.

Then don't use a pre-mixed coolant. Buy a silicate-free antifreeze (Peak works fine among others) and mix it to the ratio you need for your temperatures there.

You can also add Water Wetter or the Lucas to your mix, the added surfactants will provide a small improvement in heat transfer.

Edited by Chokey
  • Like 1

The other important issue is to change the coolant per the user's manual.  Combustion gasses do get into the coolant and change its Ph making it more acidic, which results in corrosion of aluminum and head gaskets. Cars usually recommend every two years.   I drain the coolant, flush with distilled water, and refill with an anti-freeze distilled water mix.  Where I live the antifreeze is not for freeze protection but for the additives that lube the seals and help control coolant Ph.   Distilled water is available at Walmart for less than a buck per gallon. 

Color is not a good indicator of the coolant, this chart list OEM and aftermarket coolants by type and color:  http://www.eetcorp.com/antifreeze/Coolants_matrix.pdf

The other important issue is to change the coolant per the user's manual.  Combustion gasses do get into the coolant and change its Ph making it more acidic, which results in corrosion of aluminum and head gaskets. Cars usually recommend every two years.   I drain the coolant, flush with distilled water, and refill with an anti-freeze distilled water mix.  Where I live the antifreeze is not for freeze protection but for the additives that lube the seals and help control coolant Ph.   Distilled water is available at Walmart for less than a buck per gallon. 

Color is not a good indicator of the coolant, this chart list OEM and aftermarket coolants by type and color:  http://www.eetcorp.com/antifreeze/Coolants_matrix.pdf

Thanks for the info Chuck ? . I've always changed the coolant and never really wondered why, I think I've always just assumed that it's gets old and loses it's properties.