Sign in to follow this  

Quieting down my 4 stroke

I have a yz250f with an obnoxiously loud muffler on it but I want to keep it. Everyone is complaining so I figured I'd ask, is there any way to make an insert that will quiet it down a little. Or is there anything else to do that'll quiet it down. Also I have the stock exhaust is there anything to take out of it and put in my aftermarket one to quiet it down?

Thanks

Edited by Reckinball7

I have a yz250f with an obnoxiously loud muffler on it but I want to keep it. Everyone is complaining so I figured I'd ask, is there any way to make an insert that will quiet it down a little. Or is there anything else to do that'll quiet it down. Also I have the stock exhaust is there anything to take out of it and put in my aftermarket one to quiet it down?

Thanks

repack silencer, aftermarket exhaust, or buy an insert
  • Like 1

Odds are your biggest problem is that you've blown out the packing so you just need to repack the silencer. A lot of headers now have resonators in them to help with the noise as well so you could look into that too.

Also, some aftermarket exhausts have "quiet inserts" that you can put in the silencer to help shave a couple decibels.

Edited by Chopper731

If your YZ muffler is in good conditiojnn but you need to go quieter, you can source a WR system. You'll loose power (as you often do when you go 'quiet/restrictive) and will need to rejet to suit most likely.

What brand/model is your exhaust?

It's an Fmf powercore iv I guess you can say it's an older version

First, I'd try re-packing it, then:

1. Cheap fix- Decibel Dawg insert (db insert) goes in the end, quick easy.  Probably want to use the stock silencer.  
  2. Less expensive fix - Pro moto billet (PMB) end cap with quiet insert for the stock pipe.  There are different ones that can be anywhere from a little quieter to very quiet.
  3. $350 fix - Aftermarket slip on silencer like the Q-4 by FMF  

You still need to re-pack all of em fairly regularly.  

Thanks

finaly someone using their head loud bikes just shut places down and piss people off. if you can get an fnf q4 good performance without alot of noise

First, I'd try re-packing it, then:

1. Cheap fix- Decibel Dawg insert (db insert) goes in the end, quick easy.  Probably want to use the stock silencer.  
  2. Less expensive fix - Pro moto billet (PMB) end cap with quiet insert for the stock pipe.  There are different ones that can be anywhere from a little quieter to very quiet.
  3. $350 fix - Aftermarket slip on silencer like the Q-4 by FMF  

You still need to re-pack all of em fairly regularly.  

I swore off of FMF years ago but decided to give them another shot with my new yz.  I can't believe the general public hasn't complained about this....  You can't completely re-pack an FMF Q4 silencer.  After 20 minutes with a vice and a hammer, i was able to get it apart only to find that they have steel wool tack welded to the inner tube(see photo).  Why the hell would you take the part that is going to collect the most carbon and weld it to the tube so it can't be removed?  I went to the fmf website, curious to see how they cleaned the wool.  In the video, it conveniently cuts way the part where he is separating the inner and outer silencer.  Then it shows no steel wool welded to the tube.  So I called FMF and asked how they recommend cleaning the wool.  They said, "you can soak it in gasoline."  And then what do you do with the 5 gallons of dirty gas?  At one point he said, "maybe you can brush it."  Did he thing it would comb out?  

Does the Yoshi, Lexx, and Pro-Circuit 4-stroke pipes have this steel wool?  

2014-12-30102512.jpg

Edited by hrpufinstuff

Can't it be cleaned with odorless mineral spirits ?

You could probably clean it with mineral spirits, but you'd trash a lot of mineral spirits every time you repack your silencer.  I like to repack often to keep it as quiet as possible.  

You could probably clean it with mineral spirits, but you'd trash a lot of mineral spirits every time you repack your silencer. I like to repack often to keep it as quiet as possible.

Just an option, thought I would ask. I would rather trash a bunch of mineral spirits than trash a bunch of gasoline with how often you repack your exhaust !