Rebuilt 2004 KTM 450 EXC

I am looking at purchasing a 2004 KTM 450 EXC. The only thing that is holding me back is that the top and bottom ends have both been rebuild. I would be okay if they were rebuilt by a reputable shop. But they were rebuilt by the previous owner. The guy who owns it now does not know much about the rebuild but has put about 25 hours on it. That being said I am being a little hesitant towards buying the bike due to this fact. So is that something to worry about? Is rebuilding the top and bottom end pretty hard to mess up? I just don't know what to think going forward with this bike and would love some advice. Thanks for the help.

I am looking at purchasing a 2004 KTM 450 EXC. The only thing that is holding me back is that the top and bottom ends have both been rebuild. I would be okay if they were rebuilt by a reputable shop. But they were rebuilt by the previous owner. The guy who owns it now does not know much about the rebuild but has put about 25 hours on it. That being said I am being a little hesitant towards buying the bike due to this fact. So is that something to worry about? Is rebuilding the top and bottom end pretty hard to mess up? I just don't know what to think going forward with this bike and would love some advice. Thanks for the help.

Do you know the total hours on the bike?

They are a relatively simple engines and can be "rebuilt" with general tools. Rebuilt IMO can mean several things- to me rebuilt is replacing all bearings, seals, any parts out of spec and so on. Who knows if this happened or not. The RFS engine will last many hundreds of hours if maintained.

Run it and ride it, look for white exhaust smoke, these engines are a little noisy, change in clutch noise with the clutch pulled in is normal at idle. Intake valves need adjusted every 20 hours or so, if the top end was done and quality intake valves put in they should go longer without adjustment.

If his being honest about the 25hrs since rebuild you should be right. If something was installed incorrectly it should have been apparent after 25hrs. If he is sure of the rebuild, maybe he wouldn't have any issues allowing a leak down test to be done. That would give you an idea of top end condition at least.