Sign in to follow this  

Got prescribed perocets after surgery.

This might sound like a bit of a dumb question but I just want to make sure before I put a potentially addictive chemical in my body.

I had surgery today and I am in a decent amount of pain. The doctor prescribed me 5mg percocets and told me to take two every 6 hours. I have took 2 of them about 3 hours ago, I feel fine with no drowsiness and they worked for the pain. 

I'm just wondering if it's reasonable to worry about becoming dependant on them or any sort of withdrawal if taken properly? Should I flush them and stick to tylanol? Wondering if I am just worrying about nothing or what. I have a family member who struggled with prescription drug addiction and it kind of has me on edge. 

After breaking my collarbone into 3 pieces, waiting a week for surgery. I got hydrocodone and apap and took those for a totall of 3-4. Afterwards my pain only hurt in the morning so I just took it in the morning and then eventually just stopped. I felt no addictiveness to it.

Only take them if you need them, tolerate what you can and return what's left to the pharmacy.

You can develop a physical dependency. It depends on how long you take them for, even using them as prescribed.

Did you ever have a drug dependency or drug/alcohol addiction problem in the past? If you did-then yes you could have an addiction issue. If you never had an addiction problem then your chances of addiction are far less. Its a medication like anything else. Take it if you are in pain and forget about if you are not in pain. I have been on vicodin for over 6 years. I have stopped for weeks at a time. I do taper myself off. When you are on a opiate for a long period like myself,there is a physical addiction/tolerance built up. Don't be afraid to take them for pain but moderation and talk to your doctor about any concerns.

• Like 3

I've had just about all the pain killer cocktails after surgeries and injuries. Never cared for any of them I hate the way they make me feel. I'm not going to start a debate on other pain revilers but I do think other options are much better.

However AC is right if you have had a problem with addiction in the past I would stay away

Thanks for your posts guys. I'm a bit less sore then yesterday, I took a few and I'm fine. I never had any past problems with addiction or anything and I seem to be healing fairly fast. I highly doubt I'll need to take even half the bottle. You can just return whatever you don't take to a pharmacy? 

percocet is mostly tylenol anyway.....you'd prolly have a dead liver to go along with your addiction to opiates if ya actually took enough to be addicted.  Not likely

Edited by Slackkinhard

Do not sweat it. I have had four knee surgeries, the last two, total knee replacements. I was on percs about six weeks each time. I never needed to or took the rec/allowed dosage. Typcally, 1/2 was plenty. What matters is to take a pill BEFORE the pain returns strongly. That means at least once every eight hour to six hours. 'Manning up' is a fools folly. After a week, see if you can stretch the intervals or just cut a pill in half to reduce the dose.

Save the leftovers in a secure place. You never know when you are going to screw yourself up and have a long wait to get to a Dr. Just let the Dr. Know you  '...took a 5/750 Perc three hours ago...' and be honest about how you currently feel.

• Like 1

Thanks William, I took 1 this morning and I still feel fine. I will take another soon, it seems to not make me as sick to my stomach. 

Don't sweat it unless you're an addict. It's not like cocaine or something. By the end of today or tomorrow you probably want even need them anymore. 

I only use them after surgery if the pain is unbearable, if Advil or something else takes the edge off I do that instead. If it is just aching pain I don't tough then, and if I do use them I try to get off them in the first 24-48 hours. I have the same concern and one time got a little to defendant on them, my wife is an RN and recognized it after a week and we went cold turkey. You should always pay attention to this and your smart for asking. I have never used pain meds for more than 48 hours, knee replacement, TPF, scopes, broken ankle right now, clavicle etc etc.

Edited by obgod3

I never use Percocet or other Class Two drugs.

With multimodal analgesia, pain is relieved far more effectively than with Class Two narcotics, and the complications and side effects are minimized.

I only use them after surgery if the pain is unbearable, if Advil or something else takes the edge off I do that instead. If it is just aching pain I don't tough then, and if I do use them I try to get off them in the first 24-48 hours. I have the same concern and one time got a little to defendant on them, my wife is an RN and recognized it after a week and we went cold turkey. You should always pay attention to this and your smart for asking. I have never used pain meds for more than 48 hours, knee replacement, TPF, scopes, broken ankle right now, clavicle etc etc.

It is an excellent question and one that is not asked enough I believe.  We lost a family member last Fall who had some back pain which was treated with prescriptions at one point in his life.  Apparently he was the type that it dialed his number and he became dependent on this medication.  Then to keep it coming in, he became a doctor shopper and ultimately went online for continued prescriptions.  His pain level had subsided years before the worst part of his addiction became operative.  There are a lot of other horrors that went with this addiction, and we put it all together after we found him dead from a prescription drug overdose.  Very sad loss.  It's great that Dr. Mark uses alternatives to the Class II's.

It is an excellent question and one that is not asked enough I believe.  We lost a family member last Fall who had some back pain which was treated with prescriptions at one point in his life.  Apparently he was the type that it dialed his number and he became dependent on this medication.  Then to keep it coming in, he became a doctor shopper and ultimately went online for continued prescriptions.  His pain level had subsided years before the worst part of his addiction became operative.  There are a lot of other horrors that went with this addiction, and we put it all together after we found him dead from a prescription drug overdose.  Very sad loss.  It's great that Dr. Mark uses alternatives to the Class II's.

pills are scary cuz people disrespect them.....act like children eating candy. Pain is far the lesser evil

This might sound like a bit of a dumb question but I just want to make sure before I put a potentially addictive chemical in my body.

I had surgery today and I am in a decent amount of pain. The doctor prescribed me 5mg percocets and told me to take two every 6 hours. I have took 2 of them about 3 hours ago, I feel fine with no drowsiness and they worked for the pain.

I'm just wondering if it's reasonable to worry about becoming dependant on them or any sort of withdrawal if taken properly? Should I flush them and stick to tylanol? Wondering if I am just worrying about nothing or what. I have a family member who struggled with prescription drug addiction and it kind of has me on edge.

sell them >:) :sarcastic: no just joking please dont do that. You'll be fine. You have to be taking like 5-10 a day and keep on and keep on and then you'll depend on them. My dad just broke his lower back (L1-L4 vertebrae) and is on Percocet, OxyContin and a few others, he's been on them before and is still fine because he follows the guidelines. Theyre there for a reason

Don't sweat it unless you're an addict. It's not like cocaine or something. By the end of today or tomorrow you probably want even need them anymore.

did you seriously just say that? Wow.. Opiates are just as addictive if not more addictive than cocaine and he's going to need them for a while.. You can't just heal in a day. People like you take my breath away when I see posts like that.. Edited by YZF_MX_rider

did you seriously just say that? Wow.. Opiates are just as addictive if not more addictive than cocaine and he's going to need them for a while.. You can't just heal in a day. People like you take my breath away when I see posts like that..

I sure did. Taking a few pills for a few days is not likely to create a dependence or and addiction unless he is already an addict. I will not go into my background but I have quite a bit of experience on this subject, first hand. His very first post shows his reluctance to take it, my comments are merely to put him at ease. 

No way does percocet have the same addiction properties as a first time cocaine use like smoking, shooting, or snorting it. 

Edited by DonnieD

I sure did. Taking a few pills for a few days is not likely to create a dependence or and addiction unless he is already an addict. I will not go into my background but I have quite a bit of experience on this subject, first hand. His very first post shows his reluctance to take it, my comments are merely to put him at ease.

wow. And "quite a bit of experience on this subject" are you an addict? But narcotics are just as addictive if not more than cocaine and you have to take these for more than "just a few days"