Sign in to follow this  

2004 suzuki rmz 250 oil check?

After growing out of my ttr 125, i was looking around for a 250, my dad purchased a 04 rmz 250 for $1300. It's a great bike, but i don't know how to check the oil. Also, my father and I were riding at Bundy Hill and stuff was dripping out of an orange tube hanging off the bottom of the bile and was smoking like crazy, we kept riding and it eventually stopped. I was just wondering how to change/check the oil and any other input you guys have about the bike would be great, thanks!

Try to find a manual online. Just search for "2004 RM-Z250 pdf manual." It will explain all of the routine service and more. 

As far as the "stuff" that was dripping out, can you be more specific as to what it looked like or where it was coming from? It could have been antifreeze if the bike was overheating. An RMZ is different from your TTR in that you need to keep it moving to prevent overheating. Sitting still for too long or riding too slow on trails will definitely cause overheating, which will then cause antifreeze to leak out of the overflow tube. 

Edited by fulton246

Did you tell your dad? Might be time to go over the bike and make sure its OK. As mentioned a manual will be extremely helpful with specific info about your bike.

that would make a lot of sense because we weren't going very fast, but we did open it up and really wind out the gears in a couple open areas. As for the manual i will download it and that should help a lot, but the stuff dripping off it was really thick, kinda like mud but it smelled like burnt oil, and it was only smoking when we stopped so I suppose that was it, it just overheated