Sign in to follow this  

Ktm 530 vs ktm 640 or 690?

Ok just got my drz 400 stolen the last night and now i am waiting to get payed by my insurance company...due to this i am thinking to upgrade for a ktm ... i am looking to get something more powerfull .. so i checked a little bit for the ktm 530 that is to me the best looking bike . Is this a good bike ? Is the 625 or 640 better ? Or the 690 ? I really dont know what tô choose!

1406855412189.jpg

I've owned both the 530EXCR and now have a 690E. Both 08 models.

530: Used it out in the desert. No supermoto back then. I did put some 70-30 enduro wheels on it though. Solid bike. Very tall though. 08/09 models have a few quirks like oil migration problems, due to the dual sump system of those years, and the decompression lever being backwards on some. I fixed both when I upgraded it to a 570 with a TR BB kit. Sent off the left case to get milled out. I also put on a 41mm carb on it. Shoulda kept her. She woulda screamed on 17s. If u can get one with around 10k on the odo for around $5k I'd jump on it. Look for a 10/11.

690: Once again the earlier years have some quirks. Mainly the breathing. It's like the damn thing had asthma. Apparently they come super lean from the factory and if u keep the stock exhaust system it'll do fine. But if u tweak the intake or exhaust in any fashion u need to remap it or it won't run for shit. I ended up going with a Vortex ECU unit, but it is expensive. Around $700. People also use Tune ECU and do it themselves for way cheaper. Either way, its a worthy bike on and off road. I use it for supermoto and enduro applications.

If ur dead set on pure supermoto, I'd go with a 530EXCR. Fast as hell and a solid moto if u upgrade the quirks. I'd do it again if I had the $$$. If u want the best of both worlds, try a 690. Longer maintenance intervals and sturdier on the road cuz the added weight. Both great bikes.

I've owned both the 530EXCR and now have a 690E. Both 08 models.

530: Used it out in the desert. No supermoto back then. I did put some 70-30 enduro wheels on it though. Solid bike. Very tall though. 08/09 models have a few quirks like oil migration problems, due to the dual sump system of those years, and the decompression lever being backwards on some. I fixed both when I upgraded it to a 570 with a TR BB kit. Sent off the left case to get milled out. I also put on a 41mm carb on it. Shoulda kept her. She woulda screamed on 17s. If u can get one with around 10k on the odo for around $5k I'd jump on it. Look for a 10/11.

690: Once again the earlier years have some quirks. Mainly the breathing. It's like the damn thing had asthma. Apparently they come super lean from the factory and if u keep the stock exhaust system it'll do fine. But if u tweak the intake or exhaust in any fashion u need to remap it or it won't run for shit. I ended up going with a Vortex ECU unit, but it is expensive. Around $700. People also use Tune ECU and do it themselves for way cheaper. Either way, its a worthy bike on and off road. I use it for supermoto and enduro applications.

If ur dead set on pure supermoto, I'd go with a 530EXCR. Fast as hell and a solid moto if u upgrade the quirks. I'd do it again if I had the $$$. If u want the best of both worlds, try a 690. Longer maintenance intervals and sturdier on the road cuz the added weight. Both great bikes.

late but thanks for the anwser i am going to buy a 530... Looking for a good deal!.

I ended up going with a Vortex ECU unit, but it is expensive. Around $700. People also use Tune ECU and do it themselves for way cheaper. Either way, its a worthy bike on and off road. I use it for supermoto and enduro applications.

So the vortex ecu, was it worth the money, or done over another choice? Does the 690 use standard tubes or something else?

It was worth the $$$ in my opinion. But I'll also admit, other products for less $$$ can get the job done. I am thoroughly impressed and satisfied with my choice in Vortex. I really liked their approach to solving EFI problems so that's why I went with them. I don't want to blow my own bike up, so I didn't go with TuneECU. I know Powercommander supposedly does the same job and is about half the price. I didn't like what the lady had to say to me tho... couldn't guarantee it would work with my bike and didn't really know too much more than that one-liner. Soooo, ya. Vortex worked for me and I'm glad that episode in my 690's life is over.