Sign in to follow this  

Fuel petcock on a 2009 450 sxf

So I'm in the process of converting this beast into a dual sport and ran into the problem of not having a reserve tank/switch, and would hate to be stuck on the side of the road out of gas. So I thought I might ask you wise fellows if you knew if a petcock out of an xcf would work or should I look for and exc one? Point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!

You better find a bigger tank. 

I was goin to do just what you are about to, but then gave up as a result of finding a 14 500 exc for a steal.

I have the harness, and headlight with hid bulbs. Everything else i sold locally...

So I'm in the process of converting this beast into a dual sport and ran into the problem of not having a reserve tank/switch, and would hate to be stuck on the side of the road out of gas. So I thought I might ask you wise fellows if you knew if a petcock out of an xcf would work or should I look for and exc one? Point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!

I was just going to post this same question! This bike could def use a Petcock with a reserve. I have an IMS desert tank and usually know how far I can get, but this past weekend I cut it close and ran out of gas 1 mile from home. Man, wished I had that Petcock with reserve. I know there has to be one that will work.

I literally just installed the petcock today! Lol it fit but the only problem I had was the hole was too small to fit the new petcock in, so I just drilled out the hole to 7/16 and the new one fit right in! I'm fine with spending twenty bucks for insurance that I don't have to push my bike home Lol!

Thing is it doesn't give you more range it just separates the range into 2 parts , so you would still run out 1 mile from home ?

I literally just installed the petcock today! Lol it fit but the only problem I had was the hole was too small to fit the new petcock in, so I just drilled out the hole to 7/16 and the new one fit right in! I'm fine with spending twenty bucks for insurance that I don't have to push my bike home Lol!

What petcock did you end up using? 

I run an IMS 3.2 gallon tank. I can get approx 100 miles on a tank doing a mix of fast desert stuff and mountain trails. 

Edited by mikesbaron