Sign in to follow this  

Russell SS front brake line routing?

I have a 2002 DRZ400S with a failed rear brake due to corrosion in the caliper and a leaking rear brake line, and plus the brake fluid reservoir was beginning to bulge.  The front brakes were fine.  I opted to rebuild the rear caliper and the stock master cylinder as well as replace the leaking brake line with a SS aftermarket one.  I did not want to switch to the CRF450R master cylinder because I liked the feel of the stock cylinder, but I will use clear tubing tie wrapped to the frame to replace the silly expensive and prone to failure plastic reservoir.  I also opted to replace the front brake line with SS because it was the same age as the failed rear line.

I just received front and rear Russell Performance front (p/n R08426) and rear (R08462) SS brake lines.  I did a search and found no one here had fit issues with the Russells.  They weren't my first choice, but I had an Amazon gift card sitting around for months, and Russell is what I found available through Amazon.  (Amazon is not my normal go-to place for MC parts.)

I just installed the Russell front line and had some fit issues I wanted to ask about.  The hose itself had banjo fittings shaped slightly differently than the OEM brake line, and was 2 to 2.5 inches shorter.  I was unable to route the hose the same way the original hose was routed.  The original hose routed the line inside the front forks, and the bend of the crimped on banjo swept to the rear of the bike.  (Sorry, no picture.)  The new routing moved the hose to outside of the forks and the bend of the banjo sweeps to the front of the bike.

0731042107_zps9eef8c56.jpg

I don't like the hose routed outside of the fork like this because I feel the hose is less well protected.

The other issue is that, despite the re-routing of the line, the loop at the top of the hose where the crosses over the instrument cluster is much smaller.  (Again, I have no picture of the original hose and routing.)  Here's a pic of the hose at the top.

0731042106_zpsc7614847.jpg

This picture is with the forks fully extended.  The loop is now very flat, and the bend at the right of the hose is sharper than before.

What do you folks think of the way this front Russell Performance hose fits?

Edited by steven1955

2nd pic too short, bending the guide will help a little.

Edited by billdirt1
  • Like 1

Steven , they might have sent you one for an SM . Did you put it in situ first to see the best routing for the line ? Or even mounting to the caliper and master cylinder ? In your second pic it might be possible to go under the throttle cables to gain some extra line . I dont know if it is standard on the S but my brake lines go outside of the fork leg , greg

• Like 1

Did you put it in situ first to see the best routing for the line ? Or even mounting to the caliper and master cylinder ?

I did, and thought it would work despite being shorter, although it would be close.  It kind of works, but not as well as I would like.

Steven , they might have sent you one for an SM .

Sounds like you got one for a sm. They are shorter that the s model

Does anyone know how much shorter an SM line is?

I prefer the line inside the fork leg , less chance of it getting damaged ,

Me too.  Not an option with this hose.

I wonder if I'm better off contacting the vendor or Russell directly?

Appears to be the wrong front brake line. It does not copy or follow the OEM brake lines lenght or route. So either the wrong part or poorly manufactured and not a good replacement for the OEM one.

• Like 1

Appears to be the wrong front brake line. It does not copy or follow the OEM brake lines lenght or route. So either the wrong part or poorly manufactured and not a good replacement for the OEM one.

Before I bought the Russell I did a search and found a few posts where people used them.  One in particular complained about the plating on the banjos looking crappy after one season, but no problems with fit or routing.

I have contacted the vendor and sent them the pictures.  Let's see what they say.

After seeing the pics the vendor agreed that it was the wrong brake line in the right packaging, but as they didn't have another line in stock they just refunded my money.  And let me keep the wrong line to make up for the hassle.  Now if I only knew what to do with what might be an SM line.  Or some other line that we have no clue about.

At least the rear line purchased at the same time appears to be a good fit.

Edited by steven1955

This thread is a few months old but...

I recently bought a Russell front line for my S and got the same result. The ends of the line were a bit off also as the line had a prominent twist to it.  After a couple of phone calls and an email to them with some pics of the install, they are making a custom length line for me. :thumbsup:

It seems they offer only one line for the DRZ. I advised them that the SM must surely have a shorter line to fit the USD fork. I am sending my line back to them for R&D purposes and hopefully they will rectify the issue.

I had a Russell line on my DRZ and had the same issue, untill I swapped the ends around.

Fitted nicely up the inside of the fork leg and looped smoothly on to the master cyclinder.

Admitedly it was a little bit shorter but it worked without issue.

This pic is in another post,

IMAG0107_BURST001.jpg

But mine looked the same as the OP's first picture before I swapped the ends around.