Sign in to follow this  

I have a 45 pilot, do I need a 42?

I have a 2012 Crf450x and I just put on a new free flow exhaust, opened the air box and re jetted.  I just went to adjust the fuel screw and I notice bike will die at two turns out and seems to run fine with it all the way in.  Since it runs fine all the way in, doesn't that mean I should go to a smaller pilot?  Stock is a 45.  It has a little off idle bog anywhere the fuel screw is..

I went leaner with the mods, but I put a CRF450R needle- NCVS, recommended by many in this forum, and went up from a 145 to a 165 main, so at least 1/4 throttle to full, that is richer.

Yes it is.....but pilot is idle only.

So, you have a rich condition causing you to over compensate by leaning out your fuel screw.

A rich condition is far less common.....but it's usually because of the main air jet being partially clogged, or the choke plunger not seating all the way, or a wet air cleaner, or something similar.

Yes, it is possible that your bike and yours alone needs the 42....but it is unlikely. 

45-48 is the norm. 

Did you use any grease to assist in re-attaching the air boot to the carb? If so, some got into the main air jet inside the bell of the carb, causing a rich condition.......or you actually installed a 48, not a 45 pilot.

Edited by Kah Ran Nee