Sign in to follow this  

1988 rm 125 rear disk conversion ?/

hey guys im new to the 2stroke world .i just did a complete bottom and top end built .and i keep figuring out other ways to keep waisting money !! .i just noticed that the bike it has drum brakes in the back ! is there any way of converting this to disc brakes ?? i overbored it to 1.50 its that bad or what ? i also put new rods new gaskets new seals new everyhting .new carb ,new crank bearing, alot of freaking money in other words and at the end of the day its a 88 ..but im confused the guy that sold it to me told me it was an 87 the motor its an 87 but the bike number says J isnt j 88 ? but then 88 had disc brakes ! and this one doesnt !im confused could you guys help me ?

10377288_540427332730028_6561816234548974866_n (1).jpg

1620409_551711888268239_5792748313185988702_n.jpg

10565181_548551191917642_9086024190226807663_n.jpg

I think the '86 through '88 was all the same basic model, so using a '88 piston and rod in a '87 should matter.  Roll it over slowly at first and if the piston doesn't hit the head you should be fine. 

Not sure what to do about the rear brake, personally I'd just leave the drum on it and ride.  It's really easy to invest way more into an old bike than what it's actually worth and this is one of those deals where the money invested will not pay back.

• Like 1

I think the '86 through '88 was all the same basic model, so using a '88 piston and rod in a '87 should matter.  Roll it over slowly at first and if the piston doesn't hit the head you should be fine. 

Not sure what to do about the rear brake, personally I'd just leave the drum on it and ride.  It's really easy to invest way more into an old bike than what it's actually worth and this is one of those deals where the money invested will not pay back.

shouldnt matter or should matter ??? and yea i spent over 1600 dollars on it never again for that price i would bought another one and i spun the motor eit out the head and the piston looked like it had cleareance .not to hit . it works fine we will see when it runs again now ..im putting the motor in tmm .and im still waiting on the waterpump impeller ..would anything happen if i started for 5 seconds with out water ..i think it should be fine ! 

Edited by slammednboosted

shouldnt matter or should matter ??? and yea i spent over 1600 dollars on it never again for that price i would bought another one and i spun the motor eit out the head and the piston looked like it had cleareance .not to hit . it works fine we will see when it runs again now ..im putting the motor in tmm .and im still waiting on the waterpump impeller ..would anything happen if i started for 5 seconds with out water ..i think it should be fine ! 

"it should not matter"  ~ sorry about that.

A 5 second start without water will not hurt anything. 

(sorry about all the bold and underlined print, I'm starting to get paranoid...)  :banghead:

also the bike has a 12t front sprocket and a 53 rear sprocket !its this good ?what top speed its this ?? also my coil i guess took a crap because it died on me i checked for spark and nothing i kinda measured it with a multimeter but idk .it was rusted to shit so i dont know .i tried a lil atv coil and that one shocked me so im guessing it was the coil !! and im using ngk r and i looked at the plug and it had bended the little needle so i put a lil washer so it wont do that no more its been working so far !! could anybody know why its that happening ?? also i just rebuild the bike completly its a 87 but i put 88 rods and piston !! idk if thats the problem other than that the bike its running hard as shit ..