Sign in to follow this  

Anyone Try LED Headlight Bulbs?

no, but I am actually interested in these.

I got some regular LED in teh headlight, but there more for show.

Recently I added two CREE LED like these and they work great.

Wow ! I didn't know these were available. I want to try one in my xr600r. I like the low-juice draw.

go to ADVrider.com...in the vendors section cyclops is selling the LED bulbs..and you can use the 10% off code...alot of people are using his..with good results.the seller is a great fella and definately stands behind his products,,you will not have an issue buying from him..

Avoid the other sellers selling these replacements.....any issues and you are on your own..

LINK:   http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=948701

As the seller states,,they won`t set the road on fire,they are an upgrade with some more light...but the color output is what you want,white........

i have a set of his LED 10 degree aux lights on my bike,,10watts each.the output from them is scary bright,,throwing like almost 700 feet,,and white,white light..best buck i`ve spent as a bolt on.......i do alot of night riding..unbelieveable difference.with only 20 watts draw..

B

Edited by brianhare

What I'd like to know is how much harder the regulator/rectifier has to work if the total load on the system is much less. It has to get rid of a lot of extra power that isn't being used. The stock headlight pulls ~55/60 watts

At the most, that LED light draws half the watts at 30. When running at highway speeds for extended periods, does the reg/rec get hot, become less efficient and the voltage keep creeping up?

I put and HID on mine that draws ~35 watts and didn't give it any thought. When I looked at the battery a while later is was bloated. I never checked the charging voltage.

I don't know of anyone changed to an HID or LED reporting a battery failure from overcharging, but because most batteries are sealed now, it's not so easy to just look at the battery and wonder why the electrolyte level got so low so quickly.

I guess a person could add a couple more LED lights and have a lot more light from the same power.

tx guys. @onederer- i was wondering the same thing. im not in a rush to jump onto LED headlights as this is more of a nice to have. My bike has other priorities right now. Brian tx for the adv link. ill do some digging and see what i come up with

BUMP....

Now that there are a lot of LED headlight conversions on the market that basically just replace the halogen bulbs, I'm wondering if anyone has tried one in the stock plastic lens headlight, or even the glass-lens headlight that fits in the stock, OEM headlight/ number plate shell.  Maybe even a CRF 250/ 450x headlight shell.   Would like something like the Baja Designs squadron, but looking for a more economical alternative.  Like the original poster, not looking to add any additional lights.  I prefer the OEM look.

I run a led bulb on my XR400 with baja designs dsk. Got it from cycle gear for around 60$ and it works AWESOME! Only 35 watts (draws less power than that though) and produces more light than a 55 watt halogen bulb on my XR650R with baja designs dsk and is comparable to a 35 watt HID I just helped a buddy install on his DRZ400S. I think HID's are awesome, but typically have that blinding glare. On the led I have it provides near the same brightness, but with much less glare. Also, has hi/lo function and cooling fan on it to keep heat down. I can get you pictures of the led on my 400 if you'd like to see it for reference.

Swweeeeet!  Yes, pictures please.

I've had some issues with regulator/ rectifiers on my 650R with a Baja Designs single rewind stator (200+ watts).  Running the Trail Tech reg-rec, I've cooked three of them within a very short time (like 15 minutes each) and destroyed three battery packs.  Fussed and messed with lighting/ electrical up until two days before I left for the Tour of Idaho.

Ran out of time, so I went back to the stock stator and the stock 35-watt headlight.  It SUCKED, but at least it didn't fail.  Kept the the TT 3,700 mAh battery and my cell phone charged (running constantly for navigation) and LED tail light just fine.  Good thing we didn't do much night riding.  My helmet light helped.

With this LED bulb, I thnk I'd just leave the stock stator and the TT reg-rec and call it good.

Oh yeah, that 35 watt halogen bulb sucks. . . Barely see anything. Night riding was pretty shady (he haw. . .) Good for bare minimum dual sport though, I s'pose.

I originally bought a 35w bi xenon hid with the intentions of making it work without a stator rewind, but decided adding a larger battery to run it and still having to take it off the bike to charge wasn't worth it. Seemed counter intuitive to me. So I gave it to my friend with a DRZ400S. Pretty sweet once we got it lit up!

Then on a routine trip to CycleGear they had the led units on sale and I swooped one up the second I saw it. I had always wanted a led setup from BD, but they're around 200$. Anyways, It is an awesome piece. . . Literally plug and play. The only thing that I had to do was cut the dust boot to fit the led bulb b/c it had a larger base than the halogen. And the best part. . . All on a stock stator, nearly as bright as hid, and my bikes electrical system now draws less power

Oh yeah, that 35 watt halogen bulb sucks. . . Barely see anything. Night riding was pretty shady (he haw. . .) Good for bare minimum dual sport though, I s'pose.

I originally bought a 35w bi xenon hid with the intentions of making it work without a stator rewind, but decided adding a larger battery to run it and still having to take it off the bike to charge wasn't worth it. Seemed counter intuitive to me. So I gave it to my friend with a DRZ400S. Pretty sweet once we got it lit up!

Then on a routine trip to CycleGear they had the led units on sale and I swooped one up the second I saw it. I had always wanted a led setup from BD, but they're around 200$. Anyways, It is an awesome piece. . . Literally plug and play. The only thing that I had to do was cut the dust boot to fit the led bulb b/c it had a larger base than the halogen. And the best part. . . All on a stock stator, nearly as bright as hid, and my bikes electrical system now draws less power

You bike is a xr400? What faceplate headlight is that? Is light lens glass or plastic?

Thanks, Nate-  Looks great!

Do you think the optics are significantly better in the BD headlight vs. the stock OEM headlight, either the glass lens or the stock 650R plastic lens?

Just wonder how one of those bulbs would work in the stock headlight.  If the BD light isn't way better, I'd just stick with the stock shell and headlight.  I like the quick release rubber strap mounting on the stock shell.