Sign in to follow this  

2 batteries 2 RR set up on a pig

I finished my set up for 2 batteries and 2 RR the other day and it works like a charm. Here is the basic set up:

1) Stator with 2 charging coils (I got the Racetech electric with 2 charging coils with 100m Watt each)

2) One NiCd (1000mAh) under the seat with its own RR for blinkers, horn, instrument lights, taillight, and brakes.

3) One NiMH (2000 mAh) glued on the back of the headlight for use with the electric fan mod (I also put an override switch on it, so i can turn it on whenever I want to instead of waiting for the thermo-switch to kick in at 195 degrees) and two CREE led trail lights.

The two separate systems are controlled via the same switch. On one side of the relay is one system and on the other side of the relay the other electrical system.

Both batteries are being charge continually and I have yet to run out of juice on any of them. I have installed a voltmeter on one of the batteries and it always between 12.4-13.4 volts depending what lights I have one. I still need to put a voltmeter on the other battery, but there is no issue with dimming so far. 

Too much writing for details, so if you guys have specific questions, just ask.

Edited by enoxos

The split system is for some degree of redundancy? 

I've thought of doing something similar, mostly for redundant brake and headlights, but was worried of overcharging a one circuit during times when the electricity wasn't being consumed by lights/accessories might overheat a rectifier or overcharge a battery.

The split system is for some degree of redundancy? 

I've thought of doing something similar, mostly for redundant brake and headlights, but was worried of overcharging a one circuit during times when the electricity wasn't being consumed by lights/accessories might overheat a rectifier or overcharge a battery.

the dual setup is there for several reasons including:

1) redundancy: one circuit handles half lights and the other handles the other half. So if a battery or an RR fails I still have the other side to illuminate my way home.

2) having two small batteries instead of a bike one is a big plus for a dirt bike on which there is barely any space for fitment.

3) The batteries are really not overworked at any moment and are kept fully charged easily by the 2-100 Watt charging circuits

4) the RR never get hot, just slightly warm which will result in longer life for the RR and batteries 

5) longevity of batteries and components since the RR do not have to handle too much wattage (the RR are trail tech that each one can handle 250 watt)

6) the system is over engineered, but the benefit of not replacing bulbs, RR, and batteries should outweigh the initial cost of two batteries and two RR).

add your reason

The RR takes care of the overcharging (this is why they usually get hot). However as I noted above, my system is over engineered and the RR barely get warm. They basically handle 100 watt each at maximum and they are designed for 250 watt each. 

The cost of the two batteries were around $50 for both and $100 for the two RR. The rest were just wiring and crimping material. I would say, the extra components for the dual set up costed me around $200, not including the load components (lights) of-course. 

Edited by enoxos