Sign in to follow this  

JD Tuner settings 2014 500exc

Has anyone with this tuner experimented with other combinations beyond what JD suggests? I have stock exhaust but all smog removed. Wondering if I should/could try a little richer.

Just wondering what others have experienced.

Thanks

I have read you need to unlock your mapping in order for the JD Tuner to work, but I am not 100% on that.  I will be watching this thread….good luck!

Eric

I have made some changes to mine, but don't know how much difference it made. My bike is De-smogged and I have an fmf 4.1 can on it so I would expect I would need to be richer than yours.

No need to adjust, I played with mine and ended up going back to the stock JD setting. I'm desmoged with stock exhaust and screen removed. Makes a huge difference from stock.

• Like 1

KTMPete,

As you have removed your screen are you set for stock or open exhaust. I was desmogged and on the stock settings and pleased. Today I removed the screen and adjusted to open exhaust and still heard a few pops on deceleration. Very minor but wonder if I'm a bit lean now.

I think our bikes are about the same now.

No need to adjust, I played with mine and ended up going back to the stock JD setting. I'm desmoged with stock exhaust and screen removed. Makes a huge difference from stock.

KTMPete,

As you have removed your screen are you set for stock or open exhaust. I was desmogged and on the stock settings and pleased. Today I removed the screen and adjusted to open exhaust and still heard a few pops on deceleration. Very minor but wonder if I'm a bit lean now.

Where is your tps set at?

KTMPete,

I'm running the stock JD setting with the screen removed and TPS set at 0.67

Where is your tps set at?

I guess I was under the impression I did not need to adjust the TPS because I have the tuner.  TIme for some more forum searching I guess.

Thanks

I have read you need to unlock your mapping in order for the JD Tuner to work, but I am not 100% on that.  I will be watching this thread….good luck!

Eric

The tuner goes BETWEEN the ECU and injector so the ECU map has nothing to do with it. I never even installed my tuner when I first got my bike and realized all I needed to do was adjust the TPS. It's still sitting on my bench.

The tuner goes BETWEEN the ECU and injector so the ECU map has nothing to do with it. I never even installed my tuner when I first got my bike and realized all I needed to do was adjust the TPS. It's still sitting on my bench.

So how would you know the JD Tuner will work if you still have it sitting on the bench? I actually ended up re-mapping the bike and it made ALL the difference in the WORLD! And I also have the TPS checked and it seemed to be personal preference at where it should be, but I can't imagine the bike running any smoother...........SILK! Not sure I need the JD tuner after the re-map/desmog......bike has all the energy you ever need.  Would love to hear how others have found the Tuner helpful or ??  What differences have they felt?

So how would you know the JD Tuner will work if you still have it sitting on the bench?

From installing dozens of them on other bikes when the owners insist on it. Things like JD Tuner have been around in various forms for 30 years. All it does is take the injector pulse and modify the duration thereby increasing or decreasing fueling. It's a very simple device.

From installing dozens of them on other bikes when the owners insist on it. Things like JD Tuner have been around in various forms for 30 years. All it does is take the injector pulse and modify the duration thereby increasing or decreasing fueling. It's a very simple device.

Have you ever installed them on bikes that were re-mapped? Im wondering what differences in performance the tuners had on a setup similar to mine.  Thanks!  What type of riding do your customers/friends do that find the tuners most beneficial?

I will say this, had the tuner installed along with desmog and it was like a different bike.  I am very pleased, VERY PLEASED!!  But ridding season does not start officially for me until November so I continue to tinker.

I will say this, had the tuner installed along with desmog and it was like a different bike.  I am very pleased, VERY PLEASED!!  But ridding season does not start officially for me until November so I continue to tinker.

Cool! And just to confirm....you added this JD Tuner without re-mapping your EXC? Can you describe the difference it made for you? Sorry to hear about your riding season:( Here is Cali we ride year round:) Braaaaap!

Have you ever installed them on bikes that were re-mapped? Im wondering what differences in performance the tuners had on a setup similar to mine.  Thanks!  What type of riding do your customers/friends do that find the tuners most beneficial?

The EU map clears the backfiring issue. Now, if you have access to a dyno and a wideband O2 sensor then you can tweak the tuner throughout the RPM range for best performance, otherwise it's sort of a seat of the pants type affair. JD has the standard settings for the unit with the stock maps if you haven't done anything to the bike and have your TPS properly adjusted to the factory settings.

For the 99% of us that don't have access to a dyno and O2 sensor then there's two ways to go, adjust the TPS or use the tuner. The TPS needs to be set properly for the tuner settings to be accurate. I've seen bikes from the factory range from .520 to .730, wildly off of the proper setting.

The service manual has the procedure for properly setting the TPS. Once this is done then JD's recommended settings are valid and it works well. Also the tuner lets you somewhat emulate AP timing and duration slightly affecting throttle response which the TPS adjustment itself doesn't really do.

The tuner does not effect ignition timing in any manner, solely injector pulse and duration.

I have an XC1 dealer tool and can load maps and make adjustments. That being said the factory maps are close to ideal except for running a bit lean to comply with US and CARB emission regulations. From playing around with maps, the TPS and JD's unit on a dyno I see very little difference in hp or torque curves like some around here want you to believe. Once the lean condition is dealt with the bike is running about as well as it can. If you unrestrict the exhaust then a slight adjustment to TPS or the tuner will compensate.

Most people don't realize that emission technology has turned out to make engines perform at almost peak power, exactly the opposite of what happened early on. They run slightly lean to reduce CO2, HC and CO at the trade off of slightly higher NOX. If you run a touch richer you will get a slight increase in horsepower, run a bit cooler, drop NOX emissions at the expense of CO2, HC and CO. The engines are so close to a maximum state of tune that there is little to be gained in horsepower or driveability by slight differences in fueling.

Translated for us the bike quits backfiring and runs cooler by increasing fuel. If you see a big change in performance by using the JD Tuner than it's likely your TPS adjustment was well off.

• Like 2

GREAT reply and details....thanks! This TPS adjustment isn't easy (FOR ME) to figure out, but I did have the dealer check it and he "said" it was set correctly.  Fortunately, I have no complaints on the engine, after the desmog and re-mapping which not only made the engine run so much smoother, but quieter too! No popping......and really noticeable when riding next to my buddies fresh 2014 model that hasn't been touched! What a loud, obnoxious beast that is! :)  

My bike hardly ever flames out..........one time this weekend I did stall it which was my bad......but otherwise I was singing to myself on a long technical uphill as I chugged up over the rocks....."Chug a Chug Chug...thanks for the Grub"....Just LOVE this motor! On point regarding this thread.....I am really not so much looking for more power, but smoothness on the throttle, and quick acceleration is always a plus:) Gearing mostly helped with the acceleration....and the smoothness came from the de-smog and re-mapping.  Can't ask for much more....but if it's there....I want it:) 

I actually have an invitation to bring my bike to a dyno....so hope to do that in the next few weeks.

GREAT reply and details....thanks! This TPS adjustment isn't easy (FOR ME) to figure out, but I did have the dealer check it and he "said" it was set correctly. 

<...SNIP....>

The TPS adjustment is actually very very easy, here's a step by step:

• Like 2

I saw that video as well and am considering the tool/harness.  I might just wait and have my suspension guy ESP GEORGE do it on the next service.  Just had my suspension set up and want to bring it back for checking after beating it up for about 500 miles.......Thanks again for the help! This thread should definitely help many of us out there dial our bikes in.  

Cool! And just to confirm....you added this JD Tuner without re-mapping your EXC? Can you describe the difference it made for you? Sorry to hear about your riding season:( Here is Cali we ride year round:) Braaaaap!

That is correct.  Smoother power and more throttle response is what I experienced.  I can now pop the front wheel up in 3rd gear where I could not before.  I am in Cali as well and really could ride year round problem is to many darn hobbies.  I do 90% of my riding in the desert during the winter months but plan on more next summer as I live at the base of the Sierra's.  Plenty of riding up there.

• Like 1

The EU map clears the backfiring issue. Now, if you have access to a dyno and a wideband O2 sensor then you can tweak the tuner throughout the RPM range for best performance, otherwise it's sort of a seat of the pants type affair. JD has the standard settings for the unit with the stock maps if you haven't done anything to the bike and have your TPS properly adjusted to the factory settings.

For the 99% of us that don't have access to a dyno and O2 sensor then there's two ways to go, adjust the TPS or use the tuner. The TPS needs to be set properly for the tuner settings to be accurate. I've seen bikes from the factory range from .520 to .730, wildly off of the proper setting.

The service manual has the procedure for properly setting the TPS. Once this is done then JD's recommended settings are valid and it works well. Also the tuner lets you somewhat emulate AP timing and duration slightly affecting throttle response which the TPS adjustment itself doesn't really do.

The tuner does not effect ignition timing in any manner, solely injector pulse and duration.

I have an XC1 dealer tool and can load maps and make adjustments. That being said the factory maps are close to ideal except for running a bit lean to comply with US and CARB emission regulations. From playing around with maps, the TPS and JD's unit on a dyno I see very little difference in hp or torque curves like some around here want you to believe. Once the lean condition is dealt with the bike is running about as well as it can. If you unrestrict the exhaust then a slight adjustment to TPS or the tuner will compensate.

Most people don't realize that emission technology has turned out to make engines perform at almost peak power, exactly the opposite of what happened early on. They run slightly lean to reduce CO2, HC and CO at the trade off of slightly higher NOX. If you run a touch richer you will get a slight increase in horsepower, run a bit cooler, drop NOX emissions at the expense of CO2, HC and CO. The engines are so close to a maximum state of tune that there is little to be gained in horsepower or driveability by slight differences in fueling.

Translated for us the bike quits backfiring and runs cooler by increasing fuel. If you see a big change in performance by using the JD Tuner than it's likely your TPS adjustment was well off.

I ordered the TPS tool last night.  Again, already very pleased with the bike and will probabaly leave it alone after some TPS tinkering.

• Like 1