Sign in to follow this  

Kx125 good for a gncc?

Hi guys I bought the kx125 and been wanting to get into gncc racing. If you guys could give me some tips or pointers on what to buy and how to prep the bike and myself for racing, that would be great. Only things it has done to it is pro circuit pipe renthal sprocket and chain and aftermarket air filter. It also has pro taper bars. Any tips will help! Thank you! ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406866485.740390.jpg

Can't remember if GNCC needs a spark arrestor or not....but the essentials in my mind are:

1) Handguards

2) A good air filter and a fresh oil change

3) New spark plug every now and again didn't hurt anyone...

4) Suspension, play with it or have it re-valved and re-sprung if it's really bad

5) Skidplate wouldn't be a bad idea....

6) Oversized tank or else you'll probably have to re-fill....or you may re-fill anyways who knows

That's the "essentials" i can think of......some of them you can probably get away without too, which i guess makes them not essentials lol

stay hydrated with a Camelbak or similar

consider a suspension revalve

Oh, and NICE bike!

+1 on staying hydrated before and during the race, I have the leatt hands free system and it works so much better than my old camelbak, plus the mouth piece generally stays pretty clean since its in your helmet the entire time.

1406905536818.jpg

Wow. Neat device there.

Yeah its not bad... I ruined my camelbak and decided to try this, found them on ebay pretty cheap. The bladders are around $5 so if you use anything but water such as Gatorade, you can toss it at the end of the ride/race and replace it.

I use a Leatt H2 as well, and ride in the Big 6 series. The races are about an hour long, and being able to drink on the fly without taking your hands off the bars is a huge advantage.

Bike prep:

--Consider a stabilizer if you don't have one already. Even if your bike doesn't have high-speed headshake, the stabilizer will give extra control and confidence in ruts, rocks, and over roots.

--A TM Designworks chain guide is more durable than the factory chain guide. It's able to take a hit and rebound instead of bending.

--A pipe guard and a skid plate will save you future expense and hassle.

--As mentioned above, hand guards seem to be essential for GNCC. I've never been to a GNCC round, but all the photos I've seen show handguard-equipped bikes.

Edited by KevinTwoStk

I would agree on the oversize tank. How long or how many miles can you ride on the stock tank?

And you definitely want good quality barkbusters if you are riding in the woods.

Edited by H-B-R

Oh yeah: you'll probably want to cut down your handlebars. I've heard 28 or 29 inches works well, but again I'm writing this from the west coast and can only go off of what I've read.

You can use a pipe cutter, or a Park Tools Threadless Saw Guide. The Park Tools saw guide is meant for trimming threadless fork steerer tubes on bicycles, but works great for cutting mountain bike and motorcycle handlebars.