Sign in to follow this  

My new purchase

Hello all

A friend of mine spotted a good deal on two KX125's, one was a 2001 and one was a 1996. Seller was asking for $1200(Australian) for both, So we ending up buying the bikes after inspection, my mate got choice of bike as it was he who spotted them so he took the 2001. Once home I stated going through what it needs and i though, i should double check the VIN to make sure it is a 1996. Turns out its a 1993 KX125....which i didn't mine too much, until i started looking for parts. Only thing i needs is a a full clutch assembly. After going through all the parts compatability on the Kawasaki website i have determined that the 1993 is the pain in the a$$ bike that won't be as easy as first thought.

I cannot find a clutch basket for the life of me, I've gone though wreckers/ebay/gumtree nd still nothing appearing, so I now play the waiting game i guess.

On a positive note though, the previous owner had these bikes a project bike so the following things have been done:

- Cylinder has been replated

- New piston

- Front forks have been rebuilt

- Rear shock rebuilt

- Swing arm Bearings feel I good shape

Here is a photo of my new project bike

IMAG0031.jpg

Nice find. It must be a 3 thing with Kawi. The 2003 is a bastard year too. 

Is it the 93 that you're looking for the clutch setup for?

• Like 1

Always fun to start a project, yesterday a friend of my dad gave me a 1994 cr125 that I have plans to restore, sat for a few years unnoticed in a barn.

Are you missing the entire clutch assembly? partzilla shows you can still buy the clutch basket new but it is $328 usd. The inner hub shows it was used from 90-93 and shows obsolete.

Maybe you could change a few gears around and run a similar year kdx set up....

Nice find. It must be a 3 thing with Kawi. The 2003 is a bastard year too. 

Is it the 93 that you're looking for the clutch setup for?

Yeah its the whole clutch assembly for the 93

Always fun to start a project, yesterday a friend of my dad gave me a 1994 cr125 that I have plans to restore, sat for a few years unnoticed in a barn.

Bring that CR back to like nholden98, mid 90's CR125 and CR250 were great bikes

Are you missing the entire clutch assembly? partzilla shows you can still buy the clutch basket new but it is $328 usd. The inner hub shows it was used from 90-93 and shows obsolete.

Maybe you could change a few gears around and run a similar year kdx set up....

Yeah im missing the entire clutch assembly. Trust the one place i don't look, but that is expensive. The inner hub im not too worried about as i've been able to find a couple of them already. And i got some new plates, discs and springs for $39 :)

Good idea with the kdx, i didn't even think about that, time for me to do some research and homework.

Hopefully you can get the 93 up to new specs.....it was a ripper that year!

Yeah I will be posting pics as i go, hopefully shouldn't take to long as I am wanting to keep this relatively basic

So i've been laying dormant for a while with this bike unfortunately, having to spent loads of money on other bikes, but i'm finally getting this thing up and running.

So i took a gamble with a second hand entire clutch assembly from a 95 kx125 which seems to work just fine :) happy days!!!

I have managed to Tinker with the engine over the last couple of months

- Split the cases and replaced all bearings

- Inspected the Crank, no up and down play what so ever

- Replaced all gaskets

Also purchased some new plastics

IMAG0126.jpg

• Like 1

Over the past 2 weekend i've kept myself busy working on the frame.

Previous owner paint the frame purple, which is kinda cool i guess, but the paint was in bad shape, so time to strip her down and give her a makeover

Before
IMAG0443.jpg

Get it started to you can't turn back

IMAG0449.jpg

Aircraft Paint stripper works pretty well

IMAG0451.jpg

Almost done....

IMAG0454.jpg

I have used VHT Rollbar paint on frames before and i think its not too back.

3 Coats of paint and a clear coat to boot.

IMAG0457.jpg

• Like 1