Sign in to follow this  

02 Hot Start Lever Stuck

I am doing up an 02 450R and have an issue with the hot start.

I have put this bike back together from scratch, cleaned the while carby but didn't touch the hot start cable that was still installed (my bad).

Now I have it all back together the hot start lever is completely stuck and I can't pull it in at all at the bars.

Nothing seems to be wrong at the bar end. Thought I would see if anyone has any ideas before I have to start pulling everything apart again to get at it carby end??

I have done up a carb with the same issue, the brass piston that operates the hot start function will be corroded and stuck in its cylinder. Spray it with a good penitrine product and leave it for a while. Once loosened and extracted you will need to polish not sand the cylinder, I used a dremel.

Start with the cable. They're notorius for rusting in place.

Bang on the money!

Start with the cable. They're notorius for rusting in place.

Bang on the money!

If it is the hot start valve and you cant get penetrating fluid to the brass valve take the top plate off the carb and you will see two holes or ports on the forward wall above the slide mechanism.  Spray penetrating fluid into the left or larger port.  That will flood the hot start chamber.  The smaller port is for the choke i believe.