Sign in to follow this  

About to buy a new bike.. 1998 klx 300

Hi everyone, I'm looking into buying a 1998 KLX 300 that's for sale in my area, and I just wanted some advice from some people who might actual know what they're talking about. I have rode since i was 4 years old, and always been on a 2 smoke. But just this past month I rode on my good buddies bike (TTR 230), And despite the lack of instant power like the smokers make, I loved the controllable power of the 4 stroke (even though the 230 doesn't feel like enough bike for me) And for the tight trails we have here in PA, It was just perfect. So I did some research and it seems like the KLX is definitely a step up from the TTR in every way, especially power, which is mostly what I was looking for. Anyways, the guy is asking 1000 for the bike which seems like a solid deal to me, and i want to jump on it before its too late. He said the only thing wrong with the bike is that the chain is broken which was clear to see as I looked at it. But I was just wondering if there are any major things to look for when buying a used KLX? And also, is there something that i should look for to know if there is any damage to the case from the breaking of the chain? 

I'm new to the forum and hope i did this right, it seemed pretty self explanatory. Thanks everyone :ride:

He is the original owner, and it looks to be in pretty good shape. He said it was from a rock that hit his chain... i'll just have to go look it over extensively.. Anyone else?

Find out how easy it is to start when COLD. A common problem with the early 250's and 300's is the intake valves cup and you end up with zero valve clearance. Hard starting when cold is an indication of near or zero clearance. The idler gear in the kick start system also can be a problem. The bushing it rides on wears prematurely and the gear wobbles, contacting the clutch and massive damage can result.

Ride on

Brewster

I love mine. I paid about that for mine with a street legal title.

Way better than a ttr.

Edited by hadfield4wd

He said he'll go down to 800, but the rear sprocket is bent also.. so it needs a new chain and a new rear sprocket.. what do you guys think?

Go for it. With a known poorly maintained bike you'll just have to go through it. Do the usual stuff, fluids, valve check/adjust, brakes, fork service etc Plus these klx specific items and you'll get years of service out of it.

ACR re-time

Shifter star

Idler gear

Edited by hadfield4wd