Sign in to follow this  

Polaris Questions About 05 Predator 500

Hey all.

Recently picked up an 05 Predator 500 for my boy who has moved up from his TTR-125.

The bike is in decent shape with the usual dings and scratches due a nearly 10 year old machine that has been used.  Has new Razors on the rear, bearings are solid and also has a FMF powercore slip-on. 

So far he loves the quad, and I enjoy it too but just have a few questions for you folk with experience on the Predator:

1. After riding hard for a bit and coming to a stop, the quad will stall without fail unless you blip the throttle a few times.  What could be the cause of this?

2. The rear brake caliper chatters something awful over bumps and can be physically lifted / moved.  I've never experienced this on any other quad and wondering if there is a bolt missing or something, or is this par for the course the the brake set up on this unit?  It works fine and grabs well, just seems odd.

3. Bump steer seems awful to me.  Granted it's been many a year since I've ridden a sport ATV.  My own quad is an 06 Sportsman 500 which is smooth as cream, and my dirt bike is an 04 CRF 230 which also seems quite smooth in the steering compared to this.

4. Ticking noise in the engine is on the loud side.  Previous owner had it in for service prior to sale and showed me the bill for the service.  All valve clearances were fine etc.  The dealer told him it was nothing to worry about, and I'm inclined to agree as my Sportsman makes a similar noise.  When I do the service myself, anything I should be looking for?  Any teltale signs in day to day operation of the quad that would indicate a problem?

As of now the quad runs just fine.  Starts no problem and pulls like a damn freight train when it gets the revs up.

Thanks in advance for any and all helpful comments.

Cheers!

Have not had a predator the stalling sounds like float issue(needle sticking or level wrong)  incorect idle, never a bad time to clean carb (the first thing I do on any new used quad is pull the plastic and get the carb off take a look around for broken things loose connections/ and or bolts).

I would not think you should be able to lift the brake caliper and chatter does not sound good.  pads worn loose or missing bolt, rotor straight? bleed brake add fluid.

I have read that bump steer was bad on the predator, check alignment and suspension settings in the front.

motor sound is probably normal I ride a outlaw 525 every time I start it I think its on its last ride the way it sounds.  I have pulled it apart twice this summer just to be sure nothing visibly wrong  and it keeps going....

thanks for the reply.  I've heard from another Pred owner that the rear brake chatter is awful and common.  The brakes work well so I will let sleeping dogs lie.  Later this fall I plan to open her up and see what I can see for things which need replacement.  I have some minor fixes already picked to do on it.

Again my thanks.

Cheers,

I used to have an 03 pred with the same problems.. I had the motor looked and they said those motors are known to be loud. As for the brakes, I put new pads and and the assembly stopped moving around. I hope this helps!

Thanks :)  I figure it must be working pretty ok because it hauls when it starts breathing.  Drinks gas too which surprised me somewhat .. my old Warrior was a fuel sipper.