Sign in to follow this  

Taking out rear shock and carb for first time, tools and tips? XR4

My 2001 xr400 has been neglected, rear shock is leaking and its really hard to start/keep running when its cold.

...Time to take out the carb and inspect/clean it, as well as the rear shock (giving that to my buddy to rebuild)

I've never done either of these, I downloaded the manual so I get the gist of it, but I'm looking for some advice/tips on those who are more familiar with it.

Also, what tools are needed so I can grab them from the shop before returning home would be very helpful! 

Hoping to get this running good again and put her back in the woods! Thanks!!

17mm seems sloppy on the shock bolt but seems to be the only one that fits at all??

17mm seems sloppy on the shock bolt but seems to be the only one that fits at all??

For best grip, use a six-point box wrench or six-point socket.  Twelve point is not as good.

Well wanted to thank everyone...REDPOINT that video was so helpful, thanks for posting!!

Got the carb all apart and cleaned for the first time ever, got the shock rebuilt, and it rides great and starts a lot easier! 2 kicks instead of 10-15!

Only thing now is if I go from no throttle at all to a lot, quickly, it takes a second to react, kind of back fires/pops.

I'm running the stock jetting with a white Bros muffler. Is this a jetting issue? Need new ones or some sort of adjustment I can make?

Thanks!