Sign in to follow this  

Trade advice - 02 Yamaha YZ250F for 83 Honda XR500

First off i just wanted to hear if at all possible some people's experiences with the XR500 in particular... is it a good bike? I dont have any experience with Honda's RFVC motors. 

The 83 XR500 looks to be in great shape but the surprising thing is what has been done to it.. ive never seen it done on one of these. The story goes that the previous owner was a parts manager for a local Honda dealership in town and had access to the best of the best in parts.. From what i can tell by the pictures the bike has inverted forks redone by racetech, a dessert tank, some kind of aftermarket rear air shock, excel rims,a supertrapp exhaust but the most interesting of all is that it has a rear disk conversion...

Ive never seen one of these bikes with a rear disk conversion, is it common? also the current owner does not know what the front fork came off; would it be hard to find out where there from to replace fork seals in the future? the same goes for the rear disk concerning pads

As far as a trade do you guys think its worth it? The XR500 was recently pulled out of the guys shed the carbs were cleaned and the bike started up first kick supposedly, im going to go see it this afternoon.  The yz (i attached a picture) has redone suspension as well, newer tires, renthal sprockets, FMF power bomb header and titanium 4 silencer and a few other things.

Thanks in advance!

image.jpeg

I wouldn't. It's 30 years old and probably worse then your bike in every way. Sell your bike and buy a much newer bike and you won't have to deal with parts confusion or anything like that. 

• Like 1

I agree. The xr is 19 years older than your already 12 year old bike! It would be a steal for the other guy, especially if he just "pulled it out of his barn" and cant tell you what the forks are off of.

Id love to see an xr that old start "first kick"... Dont do it, just trade for a 02 YZ250 :)

• Like 1

Contrary to popular opinion, i went ahead and traded for the XR...  :goofy: I got there and the bike ran great and is a blast to ride, plus its more suited to the riding i do the YZ would be too hard hitting for the trail i ride i think (i forgot to mention it doesnt run and was intended to be a project haha). To be quite honest i picked up the YZ not to long ago for a price i still dont even believe, so for the investment it was worth it to me.

Ive ridden one of these in the past and the inverted forks and disks front and rear really make it an awsome handling trail bike! Looks a little rough around the edges but is really sound mechanically. With a little TLC is should clean up really nice i think:)

Let me know what you think and if you have any thoughts on what the rear swing arm might be off? From my research i think the front forks are off an early 90s CR and the swing arm a newer xr600/xr650.

xr500.JPG

xr500(1).PNG

I guess I pictured an old clapped out bike. That thing looks like it's in pretty good shape. Plus if it suits your style better then it's a win win.

I hadn't thought of this before my other post, but I'd be willing to bet that XR will be running long after that 250f, even though it is older.

Cool bike.

• Like 2

Cool ! -- I love early 80's Hondas ---    i'd sand and polish that tank to bring the red back out , re-do the seat in the correct blue and get some fresh fenders and ride the heck out of that -----     

save the front fender for garage art -- i havent some some of those decals in 20 years  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

That's what I just might do I've had a couple people tell me that about te decals already! I really lucked out with the bike it runs great I think the guy wasn't lying when he said it had been I storage for 10 years.

That ol XR is really cool. I've had a couple of the 80s XRs and they run forever with good power. The dual carbs are a blast too. The second one kicks on about 1/4 throttle and it's like a smooth 2-stroke.

Really like the mods on it that I can see and curious to what else could be hiding in there. (Motor been upgraded?)

(Btw I've found that steel wool works really well on old plastic tanks)

Nice XR! I remember one of those still going with something like 40,000 miles on speedo, stock it's like a traktor on the trails 

The orange rear disc brake looks good too, but I'd probably be thinking of replacing it  :)

Don't know how to determine what the swingarm if off, but you could at least determine what rear wheel is used there by cheching dimensions of your rear sprocket here www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue

Although they are mostly standard http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/model/5200

Edited by MCVL

If that yz runs then no. If you want a vintage bike then maybe, I have an 85 xr250 and it's a blast. It's of the dual carb rfvc years. Comes with slightly more pain to tune those, also limits parts. If it has a drum brake front, a disc front would be a nice upgrade forsure. Again, If you're looking for riding old school it may be worth it, but on paper considering how much your bike is worth, bike capabilities. Nah. Depends what your heart wants.