Sign in to follow this  

Crf 150r fork seal replacement help

I am replacing my front forks after seal started leaking. I am currently experiencing trouble getting the basebolt on the bottom of my forks off. It spins but does not want to come out it's the same for both forks what am I doing wrong.

Showa 37mm off-road forks have an abundance of Loctite on the threads. this can obviously prove difficult for removing. we've found that in our experience the following steps might prove helpful with the removal.

1. Impacting the threads prior to attempting to loosen  (using proper size impact socket) jar the threads (using ball-peen hammer)

2. Using the correct cartridge holder, if not available use the fork spring, apply downward pressure while loosening base bolt.

3. If all else fails, you can use an impact wrench. If you have to use this be sure to use short bursts to avoid getting the threads hot (stripping). 

Using the above should result in safely removing the base bolt.  be sure to clean all the threads upon removal and check all bolts for tightness. Use grease on the base valve for reassembly and you should not run into this issue again

Hope this helps

Matt 

Well I have to stick somthing down the tube so hold the perch on place while I loosen the bolt I cant get a grip on the perch I tried 3/4 inch aluminum a square tubing