Sign in to follow this  

Trail riding vs.Track vs. Desert vs. Sand

What does everyone ride in all terrains??

I ride a 06 yz450f in all terrain and wouldn't have it any other way. This question arose after reading so many threads about bike buying and everyone seems to direct beginners towards a trail bike. Trail bikes are great bikes for beginners but there heavy and corked down like no other, they also don't look as good as mx bikes. As a beginner back when I was 16 I started with a yz125, we all know that in order to get this bike to do anything you have to be in the powerband, even back then I wouldn't considered a trail bike. At the end of the day it's all throttle and clutch control no matter how big of a bike or snappy one is. What's everyone's take?

What does everyone ride in all terrains??

I ride a 06 yz450f in all terrain and wouldn't have it any other way. This question arose after reading so many threads about bike buying and everyone seems to direct beginners towards a trail bike. Trail bikes are great bikes for beginners but there heavy and corked down like no other, they also don't look as good as mx bikes. As a beginner back when I was 16 I started with a yz125, we all know that in order to get this bike to do anything you have to be in the powerband, even back then I wouldn't considered a trail bike. At the end of the day it's all throttle and clutch control no matter how big of a bike or snappy one is. What's everyone's take?

Not all trail bikes are beginner bikes, in fact most can be turned into off road racing beasts. I grew up riding "trail" bikes and I'm no beginner. I rode a yz450 for awhile and I'm much better on my wr. Yes its heavy sometimes but it doesn't feel like it to me when riding it. Edited by wadzi90

My stripped out 79 XL500S likes everything but deep loose sand and thats really just the fault of my trakmaster on the rear :p

MX, I like a 2t, h/s 2t, sx 2t, but for sand or trail riding, 4 t.

Current bike is 450exc.

Next bike ??? Don't know yet. Probably a 525exc. Or bigger.

The trail bikes made by the Jap companies are mostly junk, but the off-road bikes being offered by KTM, Husky, Beta, Gas Gas, and many of the European brands are true race bikes disguised as legal bikes.  I have a YZ250 with a flywheel that is great in the trails, BUT it has no plate and is thus illegal and can not be ridden on the road to connect the trails which is critical in my state (NJ).  This negates the benefits of using an MX bike.   I have to trailer my YZ to the place I want to ride, which basically results in police waiting at my truck to arrest me or give me thousands in tickets.   Also, with an MX bike, I can not ride 10-15 minutes on the road to other riding areas legally.  I am stuck riding in the area I trailered the bike all day.

In a perfect situation, I would take an MX bike, throw on a flywheel weight and handguards for trail use and put a plate on the back and go, but in my state there is NO HOPE of registering an MX bike, so my choices are limited to those bikes I can get a plate for.

I will tell you this, my Husky TXC310 comes in around 225lbs is completely uncorked and has similar power to my YZ250, so it is no slouch and can hold it's own against most MX's bikes, AND I have a plate on the back to come and go where and when I please....priceless.

I think many recommend trail bikes because they are easier to ride and less abusive on the rider.  My first adult bike was a KDX200 and it was a great bike to learn on before I hopped on my first YZ250 monster.

So do most people have multiple bikes for different terrain? Or does any one else ride there bike in all terrains?

Well I think most people refer newbs to trail bikes because. A true beginner wont have much fun on a stiffly valved mx bike with agressive power delivery especially for west coast riding. It takes some know how to really really setup a mx bike for offroad.... And a beginner doesn't even know how the bike is suppose to feel. :/

Jap trail bikes junk? what about a crf450x....?

Toss the battery, starter, kick start, and put an R head on it.... It becomes pretty serious.

• Like 1

Well I think most people refer newbs to trail bikes because. A true beginner wont have much fun on a stiffly valved mx bike with agressive power delivery especially for west coast riding. It takes some know how to really really setup a mx bike for offroad.... And a beginner doesn't even know how the bike is suppose to feel. :/

Jap trail bikes junk? what about a crf450x....?

Toss the battery, starter, kick start, and put an R head on it.... It becomes pretty serious.

i find it pretty hilarious what riders these days consider terrible. 70's enduro bikes are what ive grown up on. When you can toss an xl500s then you can then you can tell me whats junk XD.
  • Like 1

To address the OP's original question; I don't think there's any bike that does it all, well not one that excels in all terrains anyway.  The only bike I've owned that comes close was a KTM 525MXC, in the real gnarly stuff I hated it though, it just got too hot and heavy for me.  A better rider might think otherwise though...

I do think trail bikes are the best for beginners though.  My girlfriend has a CRF230 and it's a good thing she started on that bike as I imagine she would have given up, if she started on a 125cc 2 stroke or a 250F MX bike.

I'm one of those people that spends a ton of time and money setting up a 250 2T MX bike for woods riding.  A KTM 200/250/300 XC would probably be a better fit for my style of riding.  The 250cc MX bike can't do it all though, they're screaming when you ride on roads (close ratio gear box).  I also have a plated XR600 and it's the best bike I've ever owned for dualsporting, it can manage just about anything but the tough stuff and has enough motor to hum along at 55mph on the road.  Here in Colorado I can plate pretty much any bike I want, and before I bought the XR I was planning on Dualsporting my RM250 but once I picked up the XR, I quickly changed my mind and will keep the RM as a pure off-road only bike.  I think a low maintenance 4stroke (XR) and a high performance 250/450 is a good 2 bike stable to tackle 99% of the terrain that's out there.

i find it pretty hilarious what riders these days consider terrible. 70's enduro bikes are what ive grown up on. When you can toss an xl500s then you can then you can tell me whats junk XD.

I learned to "ride" (more like putt around, crash and fix bikes) on some of those old bikes and ANYTHING from Honda/Yam/Kaw/Suz etc. built after 2000 is a dream compared to some of those old twin shockers and air cooled 2 strokes that seemed to foul plugs daily... 

• Like 1