Sign in to follow this  

Oil Change

I plan to do my own oil change on this bike for the first time this weekend. I already bought some spare oil filters to keep on hand. I won't be at home and won't have my full-size toolkit either. Anybody know offhand what size wrenches I'll need? I'd like to buy extras and keep them in the bike's toolkit.

The oil capacity is 2 quarts, right? I'll just be getting whatever full-synthetic motorcycle oil I find at the auto parts store.

Any caveats or common issues I should know of? I'd hate to strand myself two hours away from Omaha lol.

EDIT: I've done plenty of oil changes in the past, just not on a CRF250L.

Edited by mott555
  • Like 2

You will need a 12mm socket for the plug, and 8mm for the filter housing. Capacity is 1.5 liters.

Edit: wrong size previously stated for the housing

Edited by dgrigorenko
  • Like 1

You will need a 12mm socket for the plug, and 8mm for the filter housing. Capacity is 1.5 liters.

Yep, and just be sure you put the oil filer in correctly. I reused the oil filter gasket and drain plug washer. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Oh and there is nothing really remarkable about changing the oil... Just be aware that a good bit will dump out when you loosen the filter housing, and be sure to put the filter in the right direction.... The filter should be labeled, but if not, the rubber goes towards the engine.

I plan to do my own oil change on this bike for the first time this weekend. I already bought some spare oil filters to keep on hand. I won't be at home and won't have my full-size toolkit either. Anybody know offhand what size wrenches I'll need? I'd like to buy extras and keep them in the bike's toolkit.

The oil capacity is 2 quarts, right? I'll just be getting whatever full-synthetic motorcycle oil I find at the auto parts store.

Any caveats or common issues I should know of? I'd hate to strand myself two hours away from Omaha lol.

EDIT: I've done plenty of oil changes in the past, just not on a CRF250L.

Hey Mott, 

you can download this PDF to you PC or your smart phone and always have the full service manual at your fingertips ....  :thumbsup:  also, save it to your favorites .... 

http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owning_a_honda/owners_manuals/motorcycles/62KZZ00_CRF250L13_OM.pdf

honda-crf-service-manual-1.jpg

Edited by gnath9
  • Like 2

Don't over tighten the bolts on the oil filter cover - read here.

True words....broke one of mine exactly the same way. Don't use a torque wrench.

• Like 1

It all went smoothly, except that I had standard flat wrenches and not a socket kit so I had to take off the skid plate to get to the drain plug. And I got a bunch of chigger bites while lying next to the bike :rant:

Also it took me pretty much a full 2 quarts to fill it back up...? I rocked it around to help it drain so maybe I drained more than usual. Seems to run okay even though it may be a bit overfilled, in fact it's running and idling a lot smoother than it did before the oil change which seems weird to me. It was in the final stages of break-in so maybe the oil filter was plugged up with some metal.

• Like 2

It all went smoothly, except that I had standard flat wrenches and not a socket kit so I had to take off the skid plate to get to the drain plug. And I got a bunch of chigger bites while lying next to the bike :rant:

Also it took me pretty much a full 2 quarts to fill it back up...? I rocked it around to help it drain so maybe I drained more than usual. Seems to run okay even though it may be a bit overfilled, in fact it's running and idling a lot smoother than it did before the oil change which seems weird to me. It was in the final stages of break-in so maybe the oil filter was plugged up with some metal.

I can always tell the difference after an oil change .... runs smoother and shifts smoother ....  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

check the oil level with the bike straight up not on the side stand

too much is not a good thing

I checked mine yesterday since there has been talk of the 305 burning oil .... not mine tho ... still full ...  :thumbsup:  My front tire is a little low I think ... :facepalm:

I do need to find some new oil tho .... that Honda oil is junk I think as it looks dirty and thin after only 500 miles or so ....  :rant:

Edited by gnath9
  • Like 1

Mobil- one 10/40 t-4 at Wal mart Gary :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Why do you use 10/40 when owners manual specifies 10/30? I've changed the oil at 500-600 mile intervals since new using GN4. My bike just had its birthday a couple days ago, one year, 1800 miles. This fall I'll start changing the oil twice a year, about every 1500-2000 miles. Is 10/30 recommended for "cooler" months and 10/40 for the "hottest" months (90-100 around here)?
  • Like 1

Why do you use 10/40 when owners manual specifies 10/30? I've changed the oil at 500-600 mile intervals since new using GN4. My bike just had its birthday a couple days ago, one year, 1800 miles. This fall I'll start changing the oil twice a year, about every 1500-2000 miles. Is 10/30 recommended for "cooler" months and 10/40 for the "hottest" months (90-100 around here)?

Honda says 10/40 for 2006 and earlier and 10/30 for 2007 and later .... the GN4 seems to get thin quick tho.  When I asked Tracin about oil he just told me to change it often no matter what I put in it and said he would not spend the money on synthetics .... So I was just going use the GN4 ... now I am questioning myself just because it does not look right after only 500 miles ....  I may try some HP4S ...  :excuseme:

EDIT: I just noticed I had it backwards .... I fixed it ...  :facepalm: 

http://prohondaoils.com/engine-oils/4-stroke-engines/

Edited by gnath9
  • Like 1

Honda says 10/40 for 2006 and earlier and 10/30 for 2007 and later .... the GN4 seems to get thin quick tho. When I asked Tracin about oil he just told me to change it often no matter what I put in it and said he would not spend the money on synthetics .... So I was just going use the GN4 ... now I am questioning myself just because it does not look right after only 500 miles .... I may try some HP4S ... :excuseme:

EDIT: I just noticed I had it backwards .... I fixed it ... :facepalm:

http://prohondaoils.com/engine-oils/4-stroke-engines/

The Honda oil is crap. Use at least 10w 40 synthetic on the big bore. I am thinking of trying 10w 60 synthetic the 305 piston has a pretty loose fit compared to stock.

Anyone know of an oil pressure gauge for the bike?

Edited by Positron007
  • Like 3

The Honda oil is crap. Use at least 10w 40 synthetic on the big bore. I am thinking of trying 10w 60 synthetic the 305 piston has a pretty loose fit compared to stock. Anyone know of an oil pressure gauge for the bike?
Oil pressure gauge would be cool, have you put one on?

screenshot.1.jpg.59ec08741198aac231df677b4b419b05.jpg

What's this mean?