Sign in to follow this  

Lost my spark arrester - any ideas?

The pipe on my XR650L is from White Brothers.  Those guys are no longer in business and were bought by some other pipe manufacturer.  I'm guessing the pipe is more than ten years old.

I knew that the screen mesh in the end wasn't firmly attached all the way around and couldn't figure out how to properly reattach the one-half of it that was loose.  Well, this morning I discovered that it is now 100% unconnected and the mesh part is gone.

I've tried ordering a replacement spark arrester tip for the bike, but it didn't fit right and didn't look like it could be modified to fit either.

Do you guys have any ideas how I could maybe make my own screen mesh piece to serve as a replacement spark arrester?  Or maybe where I could get an old White Brothers tip?

Maybe a photo of the problem area might help...

This photo is probably the best I have showing the end of the pipe.  I haven't had a reason before now to photograph that particular part of the bike.  I'm not sure if the plastic piece can be separate from the metal parts for welding.  The spark arrester is held into the end with a set screw.

Thummpa.jpg

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-wire-mesh/=t3c97m

I don't remember exactly the usfs specs but I believe it's .023 max openings in the mesh you use. The website above has mesh in different grades and for cheap, like $5 a piece. The only problem is getting this stuff to stick together, I've had good luck with laser welder here at work. Maybe you could brace it together, solder or something along those lines. I have made a few with success. Good luck.