2003 450 fork oil

Can be anywhere from 360 to 412 depending on what you want. Its a tuning aspect of the fork. I normally run them at 375. When was the last time the bushings got replaced?

Also, dont neglect the inner chamber oil. It needs changed out too. Theres a thread stickied at the top of the forum that outlines the process.

Can be anywhere from 360 to 412 depending on what you want. Its a tuning aspect of the fork. I normally run them at 375. When was the last time the bushings got replaced?

Also, dont neglect the inner chamber oil. It needs changed out too. Theres a thread stickied at the top of the forum that outlines the process.

ok thanks.  and not sure when the bushings were last done. and i know i should do the inner chamber oil and the bushings but im just going to do the outer oil and the seals.  ( i know wrong thing to do but dont yell at me haha) 

Ok well every thing looked fine. Just got done with one leg. Put 400 cc of oil in and the first 3 inches of stroke are super springy. Once you get past that it works normal. I put everything back together the way it came out. What could my problem be?

Edited by 563ripper

Hey, its your fork. No fork oil police around here?

Ok well every thing looked fine. Just got done with one leg. Put 400 cc of oil in and the first 3 inches of stroke are super springy. Once you get past that it works normal. I put everything back together the way it came out. What could my problem be?

I know you already started but its not much more work or time to also change the inner cartridge oil while you are in there (like 5 minutes more time). Also I would start at the lower end of the recommended oil level for the outer chamber as its easy to add more cc's than to have to disassemble the fork again to remove oil. A little bit of oil makes a big difference on how the forks feel.

I know you already started but its not much more work or time to also change the inner cartridge oil while you are in there (like 5 minutes more time). Also I would start at the lower end of the recommended oil level for the outer chamber as its easy to add more cc's than to have to disassemble the fork again to remove oil. A little bit of oil makes a big difference on how the forks feel.

i think im going to take the entire for apart again tomorrow and change the inner oil and see if that make the fork any better.  

edit- i started with 370cc but when it felt springy i put 30cc more to bump it to 400.  but that didnt do anything to help 

Edited by 563ripper

i think im going to take the entire for apart again tomorrow and change the inner oil and see if that make the fork any better.  

edit- i started with 370cc but when it felt springy i put 30cc more to bump it to 400.  but that didnt do anything to help 

Probably air or nasty old oil in the inner cartridge giving you issues. When you change it, make sure you get all the air out by pumping the damper slowly through its stroke before tightening the cap on the cartridge. Retest its stroke once the cap is screwed on. Should be smooth with no air bubbles felt while moving the rod through its stroke and should extend back out on its own to full length. Take your time, don't rush. Its all pretty easy once you have done it a couple times. ?

Probably air or nasty old oil in the inner cartridge giving you issues. When you change it, make sure you get all the air out by pumping the damper slowly through its stroke before tightening the cap on the cartridge. Retest its stroke once the cap is screwed on. Should be smooth with no air bubbles felt while moving the rod through its stroke and should extend back out on its own to full length. Take your time, don't rush. Its all pretty easy once you have done it a couple times. ?

well putting new oil in the inner  chamber fixed everything.