Sign in to follow this  

Will a Harbor Freight 350LB dirt bike lift stand lift/fit the DRZ400SM?

Thinking about getting this lift stand,  price is right,  and i have an additional %20 off coupon,  

http://www.harborfreight.com/350-lb-motocross-dirt-bike-stand-66552.html

2 questions,  for those of you who have this stand and also own a DRZ,  

1.  will it be able to lift up our ''old technology''  ''fat pig''  ''no sixth gear'' '' no oil sight glass''  ''outdated'' ''slow''  bike?   :D

2.  Will it fit under a DRZ400SM with the lower seat height and 17'' supermoto wheels?

If it can lift the DRZ and fit under a DRZ in SM trim,  i think i will get it,   unless you M8'tes tell me its NO BUENO for our beloved bikes. 

• Like 1

Works on my S

Just picked up one of these today, I figured for $20 it was worth a try... plus I was getting something else at HF. I assembled the lift stand, noting if I tightened the hardware on the lift arm too much then the mechanism would bind. No problem, I loosened up the hardware a little (it still has a few threads showing past the nyloc and the forces on the bolts are mainly shear anyway).

Put it under the engine, firmly pressed on the pedal and the bike came up. What I noted:

• The lift mechanism has a lot of slop, so the pedal kind of twists, need to make sure you're pressing down vertically on the pedal and not twisting as you press down.
  • It doesn't require that much leg force to lift the bike, DRZ400S (no where near my body weight of 175 lbs).
  • Once lifted, the mechanism locked itself (didn't need the safety pin).
  • The safety pin didn't line up, so I'll need to slightly drill one side.
  • Once lifted the bike is a little wobbly, but I shook it good. I don't see it falling off unless you really knock on it. I also can't see any other stand that is similar in dimensions (base and lift pad) being much less wobbly. You would need a wider base and larger lift pad to be more stable...
All in all for $20 it's a decent stand. I'll just grease up the main lift tube (so it doesn't bind), install a couple plastic washers in the lift mechanism to reduce the slop and drill the safety pin  :thumbsup:

old pic:

IMG_0643.jpg

• Like 3

Works on my S

old pic:

IMG_0643.jpg

Nice,  thanks for posting this,  do you think it will fit under a SM ?

Not sure about that one but do yourself a favor and get an adjustable stand with a little bit wider base. If you ever change bikes, it's nice to have the option to adjust the height. This is the one I got...

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/13025/i/motorsport-products-p-12-lift-stand

I would,  but $ is always tight unfortunatley...

I have a home made wood stand that ive been using for years,  but with the lower SM wheels its hard to get the stand under the bike.

s to sm.JPG

s to sm2.JPG

• Like 1

i didn't think the height difference of an sm when i bought my lift so i have to run front wheel up a ramp to mae enough clearence for the lift to fit under so u might wanna do measurements before buying 1

• Like 3

i didn't think the height difference of an sm when i bought my lift so i have to run front wheel up a ramp to mae enough clearence for the lift to fit under so u might wanna do measurements before buying 1

Yeah,   thats why i posted this thread,  im sure someone owns this stand and has SM,  wanna make sure it can be slid under the bike before i buy it,   seems the weight of the bike is not an issue now. 

• Like 1

how much shorter its the SM?    half an inch in the rear for the rim and 2 inches in the front at the other rim?      my S with knobbies and trail wings fits with just about an inch and a half of clearance. 

I just measured me SM from ground to frame while the bike is straight and vertical and got 10  1/4inches,  on the stand specs it says 11'' minimum height to 16 1/4'',  so on paper it does not fit under a SM,  if anyone knows that it actually does work,  LMK please,  thanks. 

Nice,  thanks for posting this,  do you think it will fit under a SM ?

I would,  but $ is always tight unfortunatley...

I have a home made wood stand that ive been using for years,  but with the lower SM wheels its hard to get the stand under the bike.

M8....did you get another bike? :applause:

I had that stand. It sucks.

Sell something and buy the HF motorcycle jack. It works great.

Bike-Stand.jpg

• Like 2

On a SM?  it slides under the bike?

Yes it fits an SM fine. The problem is the stand is garbage. I have one and basically never use it at all because its too wobbly. I would never trust it to hold the bike without someone holding it steady the entire time. 

The jack is a much better idea. If money is the deciding factor I would just get the regular stand Harbor Freight sells. I use that one all the time, bike is on it right now out in the garage.

• Like 1

Yes it fits an SM fine. The problem is the stand is garbage. I have one and basically never use it at all because its too wobbly. I would never trust it to hold the bike without someone holding it steady the entire time. 

The jack is a much better idea. If money is the deciding factor I would just get the regular stand Harbor Freight sells. I use that one all the time, bike is on it right now out in the garage.

Agreed. It's super wobbly. I've used it a few times and it does come with a lock pin, but it doesn't give you a secure feeling at all. Don't spend your money on it.

Edited by JFM43
  • Like 2

I bought one and love it! Collapsed height is 11-1/8". Had to grease the slide on it since every once in awhile it would hang up. Definitely worth the twenty bucks...

• Like 1

I had that stand. It sucks.

Sell something and buy the HF motorcycle jack. It works great.

attachicon.gifBike-Stand.jpg

Seems like storing the motorcycle jack would take a whole lot of floor space in the garage tho?

Thanks for the honest review.

Agreed. It's super wobbly. I've used it a few times and it does come with a lock pin, but it doesn't give you a secure feeling at all. Don't spend your money on it.

Thanks,   main thing that scares me is i have 3 young kids,  they are always around and touching errthing,   so if its not safely stable on the stand,  i could not trust it,  would'nt want one of the kids touching or leaning on the bike while its on the stand. 

I bought one and love it! Collapsed height is 11-1/8". Had to grease the slide on it since every once in awhile it would hang up. Definitely worth the twenty bucks...

Seems they either hate it or love it,   11 1/8 is a 1 1/8 taller then the 10'' frame height from ground to frame,  that is an issue for sure,   as id love to have something i can just slide under the bike and jack it up. 

I had that stand, gave it away it sucked. Got a hydraulic motorcycle lift from harbor freight, way better

• Like 2

I agree with all the posters that the stand is a little wobbly... However with over 1 year of use, I've never had issues and I don't particularly stress or baby it when working on the bike.

Most of the time I lift the bike so one wheel is touching the ground (after being lifted), either front or rear depending on what I'm doing. When I tried lifting both wheels (tricky to get the balance right) then it was super wobbly and I was extra cautious... sometimes using an extra jack for support.

If I was planing on lifting the bike to have both wheels off the ground a lot, then I'd get a better stand or hydraulic lift. But like I said, over a year now, countless maintenance, no issues.

• Like 2