Sign in to follow this  

What the hell was that? Clutch? Powervalve? Need HELP!

Ok guys, I know you don't like freestyle here, but I have nowhere else to go and I need some advice desperately.
I'm having a pretty strange experience with my 07 CR250 lately. First time it happened two days ago, I approached the ramp as usual, twisted the throttle at the ramp as usual, but it felt like the bike was in first gear, I mean it revved up a lot higher than it should, but didn't produce enough power, so I cased the jump slightly. I must admit that i don't remember what gear I was during that first jump (dumbass), but today It happened again and now I'm sure that I was in second gear (as I should)!
Could it be something with the powervalve motor so it didn't open the powervalve? Or could it be the clutch? I don't even know what to think now, it's in the back of my head and I don't like it, so please, feel free to make any suggestions, any help is much appreciated.
First time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aPR3tLqdP4
Second time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub-_nptxHY0&feature=youtu.be
How it should sound/launch off the ramp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSnCr7HrJeE&feature=youtu.be

Edited by sTAb66

And what are the symptoms of powervalve motor's malfunction? Cause I've read article about Adam Jones switching from CR to YZ where he mentioned this problem and said that the bike wasn't producing enough power on takeoff.

By the way, forgot to mention, both these malfunctions happened at the end of the practice day, could it be due to the clutch overheating (again, not likely, cause you don't use clutch agressively in freestyle, but still...)?

Use the internet. It is a magical source of information. YouTube can be very helpful. If your power valve wasn't opening, it wouldn't get into the higher rpm's. It would seem powerless and not get into the powerband. A clutch issue could cause it to still rev normally but will feel like you aren't getting anywhere. Get your manual and check to see if the valve is operating correctly. That would eliminate one of your concerns in no time at all.

• Like 1

When was the last time you changed your oil? Clutch cable is adjusted? It neeeds like a nickels width of free play.Next time try this. Start it up, get it warm and hold the clutch in in 1st gear. It should hold okay for a good 60 seconds. If it starts creeping your clutch is shot. It's just another wear item on a bike. Replace your clutch cable too.

Changed oil 3 hours ago. By the way, this "slippage" started after that oil change, I don't recall it happening before (not in that manner at least), but strange thins has been happening since I started jumping freestyle on it. It felt like bike was lacking power after it was warmed up nicely (second practice session I'd say ,when the bike is already hot from previous session), I also can swear that every time during second and third practice sessions the bike sounded different, there was a little bit more "whistling" sound than usual. But maybe it was just me, cause this season everything has been great, except those two occasions. Going to grab the service manual and check the clutch.