125 two smokers aren't supposed to idle hot?

I am gonna buy a sweet mint rm125 2005 and he said the guy he bought if from said that these bikes don't need to idle wen warm cause it gives it lower compression. They idle when cold and when they r warmed up they cut off and r good to go basically. Anyone care to explain thanks I've never heard of this

125 race bikes from back in the day were probably jetted richer to withstand 30 minute motos with pro riders aboard (wide open all day). Any weekend warrior or casual racer would probably want his 125 to idle and warm up while they finish gearing up and there's no problem with that. It honestly sounds like the guy it trying to sell you on an idea to cover up something wrong with the bike. It could have low compression or an air leak or something, maybe the gas is old and the carb needs to be cleaned who knows. If it doesn't idle figure out why and make the dude an offer accordingly. 

• Like 2

I am gonna buy a sweet mint rm125 2005 and he said the guy he bought if from said that these bikes don't need to idle wen warm cause it gives it lower compression. They idle when cold and when they r warmed up they cut off and r good to go basically. Anyone care to explain thanks I've never heard of this

Strong fast idle when cold and poor or no idle when hot suggests a rich condition on the pilot circuit. This could be as simple as needing a smaller pilot jet or simply an adjustment on the air screw. It could even be a more simple idle speed adjustment. However it could be a more serious mechanical condition that mimics a rich condition, such as an internal case leak, or crank seal leak. Could also be a worn needle jet passage, but less likely on a 2005 motorcycle.

It is true that a lot of MX bikes are set up to barely idle, or not idle at all. This lets the rpm's rapidly fall off when chopping the throttle for more advanced cornering techniques. Conversely a trail bike might be set up with a higher idle speed to lug through technical stuff with more resistance to stalling.

However, as someone else stated, the fact the guy is going out of his way to explain this condition....suggests he's covering up an issue that he cannot solve, or doesn't want to deal with. However this doesn't mean it's a serious issue..... Lot's of guys sell bikes with dirty carbs cause they think the worse...lol.

Edited by Fattonz
  • Like 1

He's selling because he has no time to ride it anymore. And wish he didn't have to sell it

Should I have him set it to idle

If it shows as a mint '05 rm, and it's in the ballpark of being appropriately priced, then buy it up and fiddle with the idle on your own once you acquire the bike.   If he's saying things like "setting it up to idle lowers the compression", then he really doesn't know what he's taking about, so you don't want him messing around with your future baby ?

So if it's a good deal just buy it up, acquire a service manual and start learning to wrench ?  My cr-125 would not idle on the best of days, even though I have tuning experience, yet as soon as the throttle starting opening it would run like a scalded ape.  Always had to blip the throttle a bit to keep it running when stopped.....

I had a 1978 RM125, that was a great bike,,a lot of trophy's,,,it didn't like to idle for a long time,,,but,,,The 2004RM250 I have now can idle all day long,,,,,,I adjusted the idle speed on the 125 to where it would idle good,,,,but,,,it had a bog in the bottom-end power,,,,,now,, the 250 has no problem with either,,,,,I think sometimes it's the basic design of the bike that You try to adjust as best You can,,,,,,,,good luck with Your Bike.......Dr.D..