Sign in to follow this  

Chain and Sprocket Recommendations

My chain has a few kinked links in it, which I am able to straighten by hand, but I'm wondering if I need a new chain.  The bike is 10 years old and has the original chain on it.  However, it has hardly been ridden over its 10 year life.  Should I replace the chain, and if so, should I do the sprockets at the same time even if they aren't worn?  Considering I do mostly trail riding, I'll probably go with another o-ring chain.  What are some good brand names for o-ring chains and sprockets?

Replace both sprockets with new and use the best/strongest RK or DID 520 non O Ring chain you can find.

Lube it with a good chain lube after every ride when the chain is hot/warm (from the inside of the chain that comes from the engine to the rear wheel)

If you lube the chain on top of the chain as it travels to the front sprocket, the lube may not soak in as well and just flys off)

Use WD 40 on your chain after you wash your bike so it won't rust internally setting in storage.

Non o-ring chain has less resistance, is lighter, etc. You're old chain is 'kinking' because of the o-rings. Look close and you may see the o-rings are cracking, letting in water, trapping water....

You can save big weight by going non o-ring, aluminum rear sprocket, and even downsize to a 428 chain. The race Crf150r puts out like 11-12 more hp than our bikes has an even smaller, lighter 420 chain. Maybe I'm getting too deep...

Always replace your chain and sprockets together. They wear together, and putting a new chain on old sprockets will prematurely stretch your chain out just like the 10 yr old chain u replaced.

• Like 1

Actual "O" ring chains are outdated and not as good as the modern "X" or "W" ring chain. 

I'll probably go with an "X" or "W" ring chain when the time comes.

I've found PBI sprockets to be a good company to deal with they make a 7075 aluminum rear sprocket http://pbisprockets.com/

I am now using the DID 520 narrow Xring chain which are both holding up real real. http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/958/24504/DID-520-VT2-Narrow-Enduro-Racing-X-Ring-Chain

When replaced all together they last and last.

Interesting thread, I was checking out my front sprocket today, and it shows a little bit of wear. So time to think about new sprockets and chain. A quick looks shows that this is a fairly expensive purchase, roughly $200 for all three. Is this about right? or am I missing something much less expensive?

Interesting thread, I was checking out my front sprocket today, and it shows a little bit of wear. So time to think about new sprockets and chain. A quick looks shows that this is a fairly expensive purchase, roughly $200 for all three. Is this about right? or am I missing something much less expensive?

They also have Chinese on the cheaps but not the same quality as the best.  http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/3179/2097/Primary-Drive-Alloy-Kit-%26-Gold-X-Ring-Chain?v=11468

If you keep the front sprocket replaced when it FIRST shows signs of wear, your chain will last much longer than normal.

If you keep the front sprocket replaced on a regular bases AND replace the chain when it FIRST shows signs of wear, the rear sprocket will last much longer than normal.

Of course you should lube chain after every ride when the chain is still warm/hot and use WD40 after you wash your bike so it won't rust internally.

IMO:

Much cheaper in the long run and assures maximum HP transferred to the rear wheel at all times.

Edited by adnohguy

Does lubing the chain just after riding keep dirt and grime from drying inside the crevices of the chain so that they can be more easily washed out?

Does lubing the chain just after riding keep dirt and grime from drying inside the crevices of the chain so that they can be more easily washed out?

Lubing the chain right after washing is to displace moisture immediately as to stave off rust. You've already knocked off most of the dirt first with a degreaser (original Gunk, Maxima chain cleaner and degreaser) and one of those cool 3 sided chain brushes, bike on stand, spinning wheel by hand while brushing and such....and pressure washing. I like to get into the nooks and crannys with a stiff toothbrush sized nylon brush but keep my bike clean cuz you can immediately spot problems, leaks, and it looks sweet! Oh after rinsing bike, I always towel dry quickly, warm it up, zip down the street once so water in the chain rollers is centrifugally expelled. Now the chain is 'warm' and ready for lube. I really like Bel·Ray Super Clean chain lube for both sealed and non-sealed chains, it will not attract dirt AND does not fling off! It's like thick dry Teflon magic stuff, only apply on rollers and pins, no need to discolor your pretty new chain!

Thats what I've been doing. I'm curious as to why I would lube the chain immediately after RIDING (before cleaning) as suggested by adnohguy.

Thats what I've been doing. I'm curious as to why I would lube the chain immediately after RIDING (before cleaning) as suggested by adnohguy.

Yes, lube the chain hot after riding if you're not going to be washing the bike immediately thereafter. I've always lubed chains between motos or loops because the lube gets displaced, worn off. Then, of course, let it set 20-30 min before riding. Yea it'll be messy but better to over lube than under. Guy rides more in a month than most do in a year!

• Like 1

Lubing the chain right after washing is to displace moisture immediately as to stave off rust. You've already knocked off most of the dirt first with a degreaser (original Gunk, Maxima chain cleaner and degreaser) and one of those cool 3 sided chain brushes, bike on stand, spinning wheel by hand while brushing and such....and pressure washing. I like to get into the nooks and crannys with a stiff toothbrush sized nylon brush but keep my bike clean cuz you can immediately spot problems, leaks, and it looks sweet! Oh after rinsing bike, I always towel dry quickly, warm it up, zip down the street once so water in the chain rollers is centrifugally expelled. Now the chain is 'warm' and ready for lube. I really like Bel·Ray Super Clean chain lube for both sealed and non-sealed chains, it will not attract dirt AND does not fling off! It's like thick dry Teflon magic stuff, only apply on rollers and pins, no need to discolor your pretty new chain!

Hum does it look like the Bel ray super clean lube goes in the non o-ring chain. That's the chain lube I use however we used it on a XR650 supermoto bike non o-ring chain and it kinked and rusted like crazy. It appeared it didn't go into the rollers. Had to use a different chain lube.

Edited by stevethe

I like Maxima 74920 Chain Wax the best.

Belray super clean used to be my favorite almost forever but it builds up on every thing it comes in contact with and needs to be cleaned more often (I'm lazy about cleaning I guess)

It works exceptionally well otherwise.

I always lube my chains after every ride when the chain is warm/hot.

When the chain is hot, Maxima soaks/penetrates deeply into the rollers very well and does not build up as much.

Plus it does not fly off.

I'm all about getting every tenth of HP to the rear wheel at all times.

Lubing my chains (a lot) helps me to achieve that.

Edited by adnohguy

Hum does it look like the Bel ray super clean lube goes in the non o-ring chain. That's the chain lube I use however we used it on a XR650 supermoto bike non o-ring chain and it kinked and rusted like crazy. It appeared it didn't go into the rollers. Had to use a different chain lube.

Wow, was it a wet sumo ride? Cuz if that dry film lube is on a surface, you can't get it wet much less rust! To kink it, it's gotta have some old dirt 'n rust too right?

I don't really know, I only know what I've done, and I've never hot lapped a BIG sumo bike like that. You might be making heat like nobody's business? But I've also never had a chain I've maintained kink, ever! ...but I'm anal about chains, heck everything! When you break a chain 20 miles from the trailer ONE TIME, you get like that, right? ...and you learn good rides come from riding with guys who take care of their chit too because either your the tow-er or the tow-ee....same problem!

Maybe Max Wax will do better for u? See below...

I like Maxima 74920 Chain Wax the best.

Belray super clean used to be my favorite almost forever but it builds up on every thing it comes in contact with and needs to be cleaned more often (I'm lazy about cleaning I guess)

It works exceptionally well otherwise.

I'll check out Max Chain Wax see what it does/doesn't do. I like Maxima, good chit in general! I'm all for getting as much 'free' hp as possible too...