Sign in to follow this  

damaged damper rod

I have been rebuilding the suspension on my 2008 KLX 450r.  This is a new thing for me, so I have been learning as I go.  As I was putting things back together, I realized the damper rod seal was leaking all my new oil out onto my workbench.  I was able to find the thread on how to fix that problem.  So I am back to waiting on parts.  Before I order the seal, I wanted to ask about the actual damper rod.  The leaking side has worn off the gold coating for 2/3 of the rod.  The non gold color area is much rougher when I slide my fingers across it.  This has me asking a couple questions.

1.  Do I need a new rod?  (I assume so, but I figured I would ask)

2.  Did a bad seal cause this damage, or is something else faulty that I can't see right now?

Edit:  I just saw the price of a new damper rod.  Unless I am looking at this wrong, I can buy a new bike for that.  Is there a way to fix the rod?

Edited by AODRN

by damper I think that you are actually talking about the inner-damper, ie, the "cartridge", correct?

afaik, unless it is eating seals, the missing coating means little---your real problem is finding out WHY it is missing, as from your description it sounds like the rod may be bent, in which case it will forever eat seals, unless it can be trued.

while you have it disassembled, let it roll on a piece of glass or granite to verify that it is/not, true.

as far as getting it replated, doubt it would be worth it, but your local cutting-edge mntn bike shop just might know someone who could do it; those guys tend to wear out suspension even faster than we do.

I'm not sure where you looked but suspension direct has just the rod itself for $55.  They sell entire assembled rods with piston and all for $189.

All I could find were the entire assembly for over $300. I opted to just change the seal. The rod did not appear bent. The fork was leaking badly. I just bought the bike, but I think the previous owner rode it around without any oil in the fork and burned the coating off the rod. I will check out suspension direct. I may need that info in short time.

if you are going to change it (rod)you should consider changing the seal and bushing.

If the rod is worn out then the bushing is too