Sign in to follow this  

What sprocket combo ratio are you running?

......and how do you like it?

How would you describe it vs. factory OE?

I want my 1st gear to be a bit lower for slow moving.

I want my 2nd gear to be right between what 1st and 2nd are now.

The stock gearing is really good but I get into some tight hilly stuff pretty regularly and 1st could be just a bit lower.

2nd seems to be a bit too tall when on still tight but a bit more open trails.

I don't wanna make 2nd just like 1st is now, just in between them.

1st gear is so slow already, to me it's almost unusable.  If you got yours used, maybe someone already changed the gearing and made it higher..  It's a pretty common mod.

• Like 1

The rear is a 50 for sure.

The gearing is really good, I haven't ever killed the engine but got close.  Seems like 2nd is just a bit too tall for some trails I ride alot and if 1st was just a touch lower....

How drastic is 1 tooth down on the front sprocket? 

I was also considering a 52 for the rear, I think it would fit, my chain adjusters are on like 18 or something.

Very rarely do I make any top speed runs so a shorter 6th wouldn't be any big deal.

The rear is a 50 for sure.

The gearing is really good, I haven't ever killed the engine but got close.  Seems like 2nd is just a bit too tall for some trails I ride alot and if 1st was just a touch lower....

How drastic is 1 tooth down on the front sprocket? 

I was also considering a 52 for the rear, I think it would fit, my chain adjusters are on like 18 or something.

Very rarely do I make any top speed runs so a shorter 6th wouldn't be any big deal.

One on the front is usually a little more than three on the rear. You will definitely notice a difference.

We run 12-tooth counter sprockets on or two 230s.  We did this because it matched the gears better for our tracks and we have some really tight billy goat stuff.  We usually take off in second gear and we rarely use fifth or sixth unless we are heading home on a dirt road.

We try to get a ratio that allows us to top out in one gear around the track.  We have also found that sometimes second is too low for hills but third is too high.  The 12-tooth makes third a real hill eater.  On short tracks the 12-tooth really works great.

I just went one tooth bigger on the rear to a 51 and it made it just right for me to ride most trails I ride in 2nd and 3rd. I hardly ever see first. Maybe ever slight the difference is it made me more comfortable in the woods. First gear is lower but still usable when needed. With the 50 tooth I had to run in 1st and 2nd and about the time I hit 3rd it was time to downshift. You could remove 6th and I probably wouldn't notice.

Good input.

I also find 1st to be a bit short to start out in but 2nd a bit too tall.  If one tooth less on the front sprocket drops all of them about halfway down then 2nd will be just a bit taller than 1st is now and 1st will be a granny stump puller when needed.

I kinda like the idea that 6th will be shorter and lower top speed, it might prevent me from running fast on asphalt and wearing down my tires.  The only time I use 6th and make any kinda high rev real speed is on asphalt coming back to where we park at Royal Blue.  If I'm on a wide open fast trail in the woods I don't get close to WOT red line in 6th.

Good thread, im gunna jack this one...

coming off a KX250 2t I dropped a front tooth looking for more snap. (I would not recommend this change to anyone except a goat)

I have gone back to stock and agree with others that 1st is already too low.

I have been considering gearing similar to what Confederate is running, but I have some concern...

I ride single track with a dead engine start, I have found that the stock gearing is about perfect with a 2nd gear launch.

I can actually get ahead of many 450's and 2t's for awhile, I believe that this is a result of not breaking the rear loose as the more power-full bikes often do.

I almost never see 6th gear and at time during a race I wish for slightly taller gearing.

Getting up front in tight single track is key...I guess just like it would be on an MX track.

So here is my thread jack..

going to 14t front and 51 in the rear, how badly will I affect my perceived 2nd gear launch advantage ?

I haven't found where but I'm sure someone has done all the math and ratios and percentages.

Would dropping one tooth on the front make 2nd like 1st or somewhere in between?

I want 2nd to be a half step lower, somewhere in between OE 1st and 2nd.

This will make 1st a half step lower as well and hopefully right where I want it to be.

So here is my thread jack..

going to 14t front and 51 in the rear, how badly will I affect my perceived 2nd gear launch advantage ?

13-50 = 3.85:1 drive ratio

14-51 = 3.64:1 drive ratio

That equates to a 5.6% change.

14-51.jpg

Edited by VortecCPI

Here are some calculations for different front sprockets:

OK, good info!

Looks like it would take around 3 teeth on the front to make 2nd as low as first.

A 12 front would be a full gear down from a 15 front.

Good thread, im gunna jack this one...

coming off a KX250 2t I dropped a front tooth looking for more snap. (I would not recommend this change to anyone except a goat)

I have gone back to stock and agree with others that 1st is already too low.

I have been considering gearing similar to what Confederate is running, but I have some concern...

Back in the day, I had a well worn '92 KX250 which liked to foul the plug if lugged slowly in the woods.  It also knew when I was pretty far away from my car and tools.

I dropped the needle one notch and holy sweet baby Jesus!  I still have the scar on my chin from the sky-trees-sky-trees-sky-palmetto-palmetto-palmetto-crap get off after rippin' thru the whoops and unintentionally pinning the throttle as I was slipping off the back.  She was a new beast in the mid-range and no longer fouled plugs.

If your KX250 2T was set up for more WOT on an MX track then the needle was probably higher for fatter jetting. 

In the woods I ended up running a B7ES plug as well, one heat range hotter that OE.

Not a problem unless you run WOT for extended lengths of time, not something typically possible in tighter woods plonkin'.

• Like 1

MetricMuscle....

the sprocket change was on the 230...the kx didn't need any more snap at all..

but I was used to the kx feel and was trying to get more of that from the little 230...

my Kx was a great bike.. but just not a good woods bike...

I'm also a rather short legged and that is problematic on a tall machine, especially on the nasty crap our scrambles are run on...

oh, and if you stall the bike near the top of a rock strewn, root incrusted, mud slick escarpment and you have both brakes on, an elbow hooked around a tree, and one boot jammed into the hill face just to keep from rolling down backwards......Its SUPER NICE not to have to kick start !  

VortecCPI..

good data but I was looking more for experienced rider input here.. I guess ill just have to try it and see if a 6% change will help or kill the quick launch.

• Like 1

First gear on a modified 230 is so low it's almost un-usable with stock gearing.

IMO:

With more than stock power, taller gearing is required.

I run a 15 tooth counter and 45 rear on my three bikes.

(Except I just installed a trials tire on my 230.)

It is so tall (very large OD) and gets so much traction that I dropped down to a 14-45 haven't tried it with the 14 yet, but I'm sure that it will be a lot better than the 15 counter.

Edited by adnohguy
  • Like 1

I completely agree

and if you are running tight technical single track 6th gear is also almost un-usable...

but this doesn't mean I want a 4 speed 230 !

Just get 1 larger and one smaller countershaft sprocket and go riding. Sometimes lower gearing is a advantage and sometimes taller actually allows you to ride faster with less shifting. I carry 3 countershafts with me to the vintage MX tracks and actually tailor gearing for sections I know I can pass other riders. You will find that taller lets you stay in one gear in tight sections rather than shifting over and over. Put more power on bike and gear it up and whole different animal. Also remember to not go too small on counter as harder on chain and slight power robber 

• Like 1

I just put a larger tire on the rear of the 230 (110/100) and 2nd is having a rougher time powering up the really steep stuff. 1st gear is still too slow.

I could gear up far enough to make first more useful for climbing or I could gear down a tad to get 2nd back in the zone.

For the gear down I'm thinking stock front and 51 in the rear.

For the gear up... What would you try?

I really like 2nd for the single track so I'm leaning toward gearing it down a tad... I'd hate to lose the option of 2nd for the tight stuff and the steep stuff.