Sign in to follow this  

kidney belt... good lower back protection?

Ok.. 1st Im thinkin it may be time for a category dedicated to riding gear.... My real question is this.. will a kidney belt provide good lower back protection in a crash.. or loopin it while wheeling? Ive been lookin online & can see the benefits of posture & keepin your organs in place but none of the descriptions really detail how much back protection they offer.. most roost guards look to cover primarily your chest & any that do have back protection dont look like theyll make it down to the lower lumbar.. any info, advice, experience, would be helpful.. Thanks!

Impact: probably not. Limiting extension (bending back) than it COULD work alright. They work by keeping your midsection from expanding, by containing the fluid in your body to help stabilize the back and sides (hydraulic pressure). My issue with it would be 1), it will change your posture and 2), the edges of it could dig into you in a crash. They are made for low impact like lifting. You are better off starting some core strength workouts like planks or other isometric stuff (the core is supposed to be stable, dont do that crazy twisting/extension crap. Train it like its supposed to perform). That will be better than any brace.

End rant, lol

• Like 1

I've had a few and don't really care for then. I don't notice any difference in soreness or injuries to the lower back wearing one or not.

• Like 1

They are for support not protection.  If you are looking for protection look into the armor jackets.  They usually have a belt integrated and provide more protection.

I disgaree with those saying a kidney belt doesn't offer protection.  Yes it's primary design is for support but I believe protection is a secondary feature on some designs.  I wear this one and I know it's helped me walk away from a few get-offs that involved landing on rocks, roots, etc...

27030095_BS.jpg

• Like 1

Yea they'll give you some back protection but not awesome! I have some "cheap" full torso armour from AXO that incorporates back protection and a kidney belt maybe not the most comfy Gear ever but it has saved me from more than a few impact fractures I'm sure.ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406964653.992884.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406964667.806170.jpg

Yea they'll give you some back protection but not awesome! I have some "cheap" full torso armour from AXO that incorporates back protection and a kidney belt maybe not the most comfy Gear ever but it has saved me from more than a few impact fractures I'm sure.attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406964653.992884.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406964667.806170.jpg

That thing looks awesome, but not really in the budget for me at the moment.  My whole family rides (wife and three kids) so unfortunately I have to be a bit budget conscious until the kids leave home, then I can have better stuff :thumbsup:   Honestly though the kidney belt is great, can't even feel it's on when riding...

Here's my current outfit.  My sons wear essentially the identical stuff....except they wear Atlas neck braces and I wear a Leatt:

imagejpg1_zps10b2789d.jpg

Edited by Fattonz
  • Like 1

That thing looks awesome, but not really in the budget for me at the moment. My whole family rides (wife and three kids) so unfortunately I have to be a bit budget conscious until the kids leave home, then I can have better stuff :thumbsup: Honestly though the kidney belt is great, can't even feel it's on when riding...

Here's my current outfit. My sons wear essentially the identical stuff....except they wear Atlas neck braces and I wear a Leatt:

imagejpg1_zps10b2789d.jpg

great kit I do need a neck brace now as Ive just become a father and I think now I have a wife and son to worry about they don't need me incapacitated or dead!

great kit I do need a neck brace now as Ive just become a father and I think now I have a wife and son to worry about they don't need me incapacitated or dead!

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!   It's a great hobbie, but not one worth dying for when there are so many other great things to enjoy in life.  Plus, you want to be around later to ride with your kids....that is cool ;)

• Like 1