Sign in to follow this  

Is a Fuel Injected bike a lot easier to start?

I like racing my YZ250F but if I fall and kill the motor, it can be a total looser.  I know an electric start may solve this problem, but I'm curious if FI would also be a solution.

If I crash will a EFI bike fire right up?

In my experience no. I own a GG FSR515 and when it stalls it's a pain to start. Good thing about carbs is that you can fiddle and tweak them. FI limits you to the mappings the factory gives you. Unless you have the equipments and knowledge to create your own. Lots of electronica, air sensors, temp sensors, crank position sensors,  that can go wrong as well. A malfunctioning temp sensor somwehere you will not notice so much while riding, but you will when you stall the bike.

Of course, if everything is perfect a FI bike will start. But so will yours.

Edited by Toontje

My bike starts well, except after its hot and crashes.  Who knows what the fuel is doing in the carb at that point.  Gravity is not working in its favor.  It seems to me 30 seconds is too long in a race to be kicking your bike.  10 kicks in a panic situation will completely wear me out to the point that when I get going I have to ride a gear lower until I recuperate.

I have a two stroke that starts easy, but I would like to race a 4 stroke.

How are your valves? IMO a carbed bike that is in good shape should start fairly easy. FI bikes are claimed to start easier but who knows.

How are your valves? IMO a carbed bike that is in good shape should start fairly easy. FI bikes are claimed to start easier but who knows.

Valves are good. 

In my experience, generally speaking a FI bike can sometimes be easier to start when hot. Yes, you have the added benefit of a computer figuring out your fuel and timing for you, but that's about all the edge you've got. A properly jetted carb'd bike should still fire right up after being dumped.

Spend some time with your bike getting it jetted right. Then, take it out for a rip, and while its hot, kill it and let it sit on its side for a bit. Now, try firing it up. See what works. Does it like the throttle cracked slightly, or closed. Do you use your hot start, or throttle, or both? Experiment until you find out what works, and use that.

I come from the 2T world, so I'm a little spoiled in the sense that even after being upside down, it seems I can always get it fired up first kick, hot or cold.

• Like 1

I know what you mean about how the carbed YZFs can be. Every year I do a GP race that combines woods, mx, indoor etc. It's an awesome race but at some point during the hour long race I will stall the bike or crash and the bike not wanting to start (especially after a crash) has costs me numerous spots.

like you alluded to in an earlier post though, you CANNOT flood a FI bike with it sitting upside down.  so, if that's your problem, then yes, a FI bike will start MUCH faster.

• Like 2

This is the starting procedure now.  Crash.  Motor dies.  kickstart 1 or two times.  Bike fires up and I'm back to racing.  That's if everything goes well.

When things go wrong its more like this.  Crash.  Motor Dies.  Kickstart 1 or two times.  Panic and kick start 3 more times.  Calm down.  bend over pull out hot start.  Kick start bike.  Bike starts with one kick, but I was already exhausted (which is why I crashed so now my brain is firing backwards) so I instantly kill the engine and repeat the "when things go wrong" procedure.

With the two stroke.  I Crash.  Motor Dies.  twist the throttle and kick 1 time.  Bike fires up and I'm back to racing.  That's every time.

I'd like to race a 4 stroke that kick starts as easy as my two stroke.

I never even thought about the fact that a fuel injected motor can run while the bike is on it's side after a crash.  I wonder how long it can idle without oil starvation.