Sign in to follow this  

Tiny piece of steel stuck to my drain plug

Found this small metal speck on my drain plug magnet. I put fresh oil in and rode it around the block and checked the oil for any metal and didn't see any. I'm guessing this is maybe a transmission gear particle? Should I tear the trans apart or just check my oil after the next few rides?

1406941251700.jpg

The bike is a 2005 yz250. Runs well no problems sides this tiny metal spec has me concerned :(

Thanks for the reply. Since finding the metal spec, I added new trans oil and rode it around the block for a bit. I then drained the fresh oil and used a funnel with a fine metal screen to catch any particles. Both the drain bolt and funnel screen were free of metal shavings.

That's nuthin. If the transmission feels and works well, then it's good to use. Just change your oil frequently for a while and monitor your oil. 5 more of those then start to give it more thought.

Great that you have a magnetic tipped drain plug screw. Grab the dirty magnet with a clean white rag, wipe it clean and always confirm the tip is secure.

Cool thanks for the reply. Ya the bike runs great. I may replace the shift stopper today, heard the 05 and 06 yz 250 need an 07 stopper

heard the 05 and 06 yz 250 need an 07 stopper

Just the 05 and 06?  Interesting.  What's the deal there? I've got the 04. Wondering if I should also update that part.

While not directly 2 stroke related, I am reminded of a guy I worked with that made his own magnetic drain plug for his 450 Honda twin.  He drilled the plug as close to the size of the magnet that he could and then used epoxy to secure the magnet in the hole. 

It worked for a few months going back and forth to work.  Then one day he was cruising along and the rear tire locked up.  When he split the cases he found a few gears missing partial teeth and the magnet firmly embedded between two gears.  While the magnet was cracked, it retained enough mass to destroy the transmission.

As was stated before, check to make sure the magnet is secure before reinstalling the drain plug.

You might be able to magnetize the stock plug(depending on the metal used) by sticking it to a very strong magnet for a while. The kind of magnet used by welders works good. I was using one to pick up needle bearings the other day and they were magnetized in a minute or less.

EDIT: Or you could stick one on the plug its self after the bolt has been installed on the bike so it covers the part you would put a socket on. I HIGHLY doubt it would come off.

Edited by Hutch1

3rd n 4th gear dogs in the tranny are prone to wearing and chipping. I had to replace the ones on my 06 just recently.

Def not normal. Dirt bikes live a hard life though...a shop would say it should come apart for liability reasons. Theres a possibility something is weakened, or there may be more pieces somewhere. Just like you might think...

But...chances are high youre probably fine without it.

Almost looks like a piece of a gear tooth. Theyre brittle and dont like shock loads. Ive seen chunks broken off.

Thanks for the replies. I decided to throw in my ebc clutch disc's, and reused the springs and pressure plates. I shined a light down below the basket and didn't see anything at all. I had to drain my oil for the clutch plate job and didn't see any metal. I have a metal screen in the funnel I use. So guess we will see if there's anything in oil after I go ride it tomorrow.

I just pulled my 08 YZ250 apart - had a chunk just like the one in the pic that was stuck to my drain plug - it was a chunk off the 4th gear dogs in mine... You're probably fine running it, but if you find more pieces then probably should pull it apart and put a new gear in there...

So just an update. My yz250 that I found a small metal flake in decided to eat 3rd gear. When in 3rd gear it feels like it catches and goes for a second then feels like its in neutral (maybe half the gear is gone). I drained the oil after this happened, and sure enough there was metal flake all over my drain plug. So that being said I have to split the cases and see whats going on.

Figure since I am doing this, I am going to do a top and bottom end. Any recommendations on a good top and bottom? I am thinking a vertex piston and hot rods crank kit.

Whats the best way to go about a tranny rebuild in one of these? I am planning on doing it myself and have a flywheel puller and steering wheel cover, but ive never split the cases before. Would it be better to just replace the worn out parts inside the trans or get a complete rebuild kit? Do I need to get a transmission bearings kit to be safe?

Just looking for some input from some people who have worked on these any maybe know something I don't like a special tool I need or whatever. I am going to start tearing it all down this weekend and would like to get a feeler for what I have to do.

I highly recommend the factory service manual if you don't have one already. That, and a torque wrench

Yea ive got a couple of different service manuals. Ive also got a torque wrench, but I think the lowest ft. lb it goes down to is 10-15 ft lbs..pretty sure im going to need one with inch lbs and that can go down to about 5 ft lbs. I am going to get a transmission bearing kit just for safe measure.