Sign in to follow this  

Cornering question

Just a general question that I see in a lot of videos. When riders put their foot out why do they kick before they put their foot back on their peg? Is there any reason for this or is it just a habit for some riders?

dirt/mud on the sole of the boot, kick to clean.

dirt/mud on the sole of the boot, kick to clean.

So they kick the ground before they put their foot back on their peg? I have never realy noticed them do that untill now

When you see riders put their leg out in a turn, they're more so counterbalancing than to keep them from crashing. Although it can and does aid in that too.

When you see riders put their leg out in a turn, they're more so counterbalancing than to keep them from crashing. Although it can and does aid in that too.

If the riders touch the ground, they're saving the bike from something happening. 

If the riders touch the ground, they're saving the bike from something happening.

That's right

I'll look for this "Kick" you're referring too. I have never noticed it before. If a corner is done perfectly the foot will not touch the ground. 

Are you sure you understand everything you know about Berm (rut) corning techniques??? Find out here!

I'll look for this "Kick" you're referring too. I have never noticed it before. If a corner is done perfectly the foot will not touch the ground.

Are you sure you understand everything you know about Berm (rut) corning techniques??? Find out here!

I forget where I saw it, I'm trying to find the video, I'll try to find a video that shows it

1993 Kawasaki kx125

2004 Yamaha yz250f

I second that. If they are dabbing the foot they lost their corner speed and tap the foot which is a bad habit.

I found a video on instagram where I'm seeing the kick if motion. Check it out http://instagram.com/p/rQnUWqTabW/

1993 Kawasaki kx125

2004 Yamaha yz250f

Bad form. He's carrying that foot way too low, especially in the second turn. I'm betting he doesn't intend for it to hit the ground, he's just used to it so it doesn't throw him off.

Bad form. He's carrying that foot way too low, especially in the second turn. I'm betting he doesn't intend for it to hit the ground, he's just used to it so it doesn't throw him off.

Yep, he's gonna need to stab one day and be unable to. 

Looks like his foot just tapped the ground......happens sometimes....didn't look like he was on the edge of falling, looks like a simple accident....not a "technique"...