Sign in to follow this  

2010 yz450f Wont Idle!?!?!

I'm having issues I didn't ride my bike and let it sit for about a year. I drained the old gas and got it running but only with the choke pulled out. It would die as soon as I push the choke back in. However after a few nights of starting it and running it for a bit I managed to get it running with the choke off (and it sounds good as ever) but I can't seem to get it to idle. I've turned the choke button/idle adjustment all the way counterclockwise and it still doesn't raise the idle. 

Anyone have some ideas?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

P.s. - bike is fuel injected, stock motor, yoshi exhaust.

Try cleaning fuel filter or replacing it and clean all electrical connections and air filter. See if it helps any. My crf done the same and it was the fuel filter and from reading on here pretty much all the F.I bikes suffer similar problems

No Carb on this bike but i'l try cleaning the fuel filter....sounds like it could be responsible.

Thanks guys..

Ok so for anyone who has this problem in the future i'l keep this updated. So I pulled the fuel pump assembly apart and cleaned the filter which was black and nasty looking. Cleaned it until it was white again but that didn't solve the problem. Started it up and same issue, won't idle at all. Dies immediately after I let off the throttle. So I went on ebay and ordered a new fuel pump (35$) which actually came with a new hose and filter. I'm going to put the new pump and filter in later today and see if that fixes it. Keep your fingers crossed!

Have you replaced the fuel pump filter yet? 

You can test the pump with water and a guage outside on the bench

You test it for 5 min to make sure it does not fade

You also need to cycle clean you injectors

Are you treating your gas?

Are you filtering you gas into the tank?

I have similar problem with an 11 I bought, except I'm diving straight into valve adjustments first then I'll work my way out from there towards fuel pump, I'll def stay tuned here. Thank you for the post. Maybe grayracer will chime in.

Edited by Dexter42

Well bad news. I replaced the fuel pump and its still doing the same thing. I'm gonna move on and pull the injectors once I get the right tool. And I put some fuel injector cleaner in the gas after I started having this problem thinking it might help but didn't make a difference. I'l keep yall posted.

Do not put fuel injector cleaner in the gas! 

It is for cars, which have no rubber parts, that the cleaner can melt.

You have to remove the injector, cycle it with a battery, and use pure Techron to clean it