Sign in to follow this  

87 XR200R Build

Alright just found me a 87 XR200 for $100. Does not run as of now but have the carb parts soaking in the tank at work. Seeing how i picked her up so cheap that leaves plenty of room for a fun little project bike. First i will strip the bike down and clean everything i can. I already ordered a 89 XR250 swingarm that will be installed along with the front end off a 99 cr125. Both the swing arm and the forks will be rebuilt to insure maximum fun can be had with out worry. Pictures soon to come of the process. 

$_12.JPG$(KGrHqJ,!l!FFyf5vyM4BRfbifGQNw~~60_57.JPG

• Like 1

Well you are off to good start, c'mon now, you have the show the photo's of before, so it helps motivate you. 

Michael

If you haven't all ready done so, I think you will need to get the linkage from a 84-85 250 to make the swing arm work.

If you haven't all ready done so, I think you will need to get the linkage from a 84-85 250 to make the swing arm work.Yea 

Alright thank you for the info, i have not yet installed it yet waiting for rebuild kit to come in. I do appreciate your advice and all see what i can dig up on Ebay :thumbsup:

The forks have to be shortened and lots of machine work is needed to get the triple clamps to fit but the swap works well.

At the very least you'll have a decent front brake.

The 87's XR200R's linkage fits fine with the 86-89 swing arm.

Just make sure your bearings are in good condition and install. 

The only part I "had" to get was 86 XR250R rear brake spring 46511-KR6-000, as the 200's spring was to short. 

Check out Mcdirtclod's photo's this will help you understand what you are up against. 

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/799727-1991-xr200-extreme-makeover/page-2?hl=mcdirtclod#entry10813897

Michael 

Thanks guys for all the info, I'm sorry but turns out i actually picked up a 1988 xr250r and not the 87200. I will moving the topic over to the correct forum. So i don't keep you guys in the dark i got the frame down to nothing and sent it out for a candy blue powder coat along with black powder coat on the swing arm.  just finished up some engine work ( piston, rings, bearings, valve all that jazz) and put a fresh coat of paint on her. luckily i was able to get new rear fender side covers, front end is still the cr125, and new chain and sprockets. should be a blast to look at and ride once finished and ill be sure to post the end result.IMG_1707.jpgIMG_1709.jpgIMG_1711.jpgIMG_1712.jpgIMG_1713.jpgIMG_1716.jpgIMG_1717.jpgIMG_1719.jpgIMG_1722.jpg