Sign in to follow this  

Looking at buying a yz250f

Hey I have decided I want one of these. I'm moving from a crf 230f (I know big jump). I've had a rode of a wr but was a bit heavy and less manuverable for me. I know about the lighter fly wheel and more top speed and so on. I rode mostly track not competitively but do a bit of trail riding and real technical stuff. I was wondering if this is the bike for me. I don't plan on getting a new one just about a 09.

Heard these arnt quite as quick as the kx and crf but I honestly don't need it a 250 is still pretty powerfull.

Sick of the 230 not quick enough for me

Thanks

When you say "real technical" trails, you may regret not having enough flywheel effect to keep the engine running.  In rocks and on hills, you need the WR to help get you up and over.  I have both bikes, and flatter terrain favors the YZ, while hills and rocks favor the WR heavily.  And I've added the GYTR flywheel to the YZ.  While it helps, it's no WR.  Also, the YZ has a motocross suspension and it can be softened up, but its not a setup for rocks, hills, or other such offroad obsticles.  The WR is the choice bike for offroad, the YZ is the choice for a track.

Ok I could get used to one of them there were a few other people who use a yz and got round the place alright. It's just I do probably 70% tracks like motor cross track and 30% trail just I know the wr when it comes to track would not be the best.

It depends on your terrain and your style of riding.

I installed the WR tranny into my 03 YZ250F and did run the GYTR flywheel for a time.  For really muddy situations, it worked great.  Once it dried out, it was too heavy and caused chain slap on the swingarm under braking.  So I went back to stock and sold mine.  I'm an old offroad guy, not a young track guy, so you may want to get some other opinions.  I use the YZ when its dry, and pull out the WR when its wet, but lately I'm using the WR more due to softer suspension and my old back.

Look for a low-hour bike over the most recent year model and if you keep an open mind, you'll get a better deal/lower hour bike. Even a 2001 is a big step up from the 230 when it comes to track and trail. Ride it first before worrying about what mods to make. YZ250Fs are awesome! I had all of these new: 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007 and 2008 and in all of those hours (probably 150 each), the 2008 was the only one that ever broke (inlet valve).

Geese that's is really good honestly I want the alloy frame but I've heard fuel injection is really good like throttle response and can flood when u tip them over I'm not to sure whether to stick to carby or efi I had a go of a crf 250r 2014 it was very nice to ride

If I do get a yz I'll get the se model I think it looks very nice

Sorry meant they won't flood^^^^

I want the alloy frame but I've heard fuel injection is really good like throttle response and can flood when u tip them over I'm not to sure whether to stick to carby or efi I had a go of a crf 250r 2014 it was very nice to ride

Heck, if you can afford an EFI 250f, go for it!

Know that all mx bikes are design to be started after a tip over. Once I figured out the throttle position while kicking, I could usually get my YZ250fs to fire within two kicks after a crash. Most of the time, tho, on the first kick, no big deciding factor.

For a rider that's learning, the key is to get out there and practice. it's not like car racing ... mostly it has to do with the ability of the rider.

That's for sure I ride every weekend and am killing the 230 I'll sell it and save a bit more and buy a 250 I'm looking at a 09 se yz 250 looks rather nice