2014 yz250 Gearbox Problems

Right so as of right now i have a 2014 yz250 fully stock bought from new, she has 26 hours on the clock. At 6 hours I had dropped the oil twice and the gearbox went, the local shop covered it for me seeming as the bike was still new. All they told me that i had stripped first, third and fifth, they rebuilt it for me. I changed the rings at 10 hours and periodically changed the gearbox oil with every 6 riding hours and the bike had a full top end rebuild at 20 hours. the bike now has 26 hours on it and has done the exact same thing, stripped first, third and fifth. The shop pulled it apart and gave it to me in pieces saying that they can not cover it again. Has anybody else had any problems with their gearbox?

Right so as of right now i have a 2014 yz250 fully stock bought from new, she has 26 hours on the clock. At 6 hours I had dropped the oil twice and the gearbox went, the local shop covered it for me seeming as the bike was still new. All they told me that i had stripped first, third and fifth, they rebuilt it for me. I changed the rings at 10 hours and periodically changed the gearbox oil with every 6 riding hours and the bike had a full top end rebuild at 20 hours. the bike now has 26 hours on it and has done the exact same thing, stripped first, third and fifth. The shop pulled it apart and gave it to me in pieces saying that they can not cover it again. Has anybody else had any problems with their gearbox?

sounds odd...

It's very odd, and rather frustrating, the only thing i can think is landed on the shift lever under power and bent a selector fork. Because the shop did not replace them.

If they didn't replace the shift forks after the first time then I would highly suggest never returning to that dealer for service.  1st/5th/and 3rd are shared by the same shift fork.  I would suggest replacing the following parts:

GEAR, 1ST WHEEL  (27T) 
5BE-17211-00-00

GEAR, 5TH WHEEL  (20T) 

5BE-17251-10-00

GEAR, 3RD WHEEL  (23T) 

5BE-17231-00-00

GEAR, 5TH PINION  (21T) 

5BE-17151-00-00

GEAR, 3RD PINION  (18T) 

5CU-17131-01-00

FORK, SHIFT 1 

5BE-18501-20-00

FORK, SHIFT 3 

5CU-18503-20-00

• Like 1

Shifting without the clutch under load will bend a shift fork and do that. Despite what anyone says. Popping it in 1st is more common than 3 or 5.

Ive had a 99, 01, 05 and 13... Bent a fork on my poor 99 one time on accident....but it was very much my own fault. No factory problems.

Shifting without the clutch under load will bend a shift fork and do that. Despite what anyone says. Popping it in 1st is more common than 3 or 5.

Ive had a 99, 01, 05 and 13... Bent a fork on my poor 99 one time on accident....but it was very much my own fault. No factory problems.

? You can shift with out the clutch when your off the gas just fine

It does seem to be a weakness on the YZ250....my son has jad a 2007 , 2010 , 2011 YZ250 , and all 3 have had problems with slipping out of 3rd gear after a hard seasons racing , I thought it was him being heavy on the gearshift, but his YZ125 and YZ144 have never had gearbox issues , except for him breaking the gearshift shaft just behind the splines..on 2 YZ125..... maybe he is bending the shift forks ?

Any updates on how it is holding up so far? I have the same problem. Second time needing to replace the shift fork and gears for 3rd 4th and 5th. I think these Yamaha shift forks being fixed to the shaft have something to do with it. Poor design. 

I raced with a guy on a 2015 yz250 last weekend. He has very few hours and said it wouldn't shift to third on the way to the first turn.

If they didn't replace the shift forks after the first time then I would highly suggest never returning to that dealer for service.  1st/5th/and 3rd are shared by the same shift fork.  I would suggest replacing the following parts:

GEAR, 1ST WHEEL  (27T) 
5BE-17211-00-00

GEAR, 5TH WHEEL  (20T) 
5BE-17251-10-00

GEAR, 3RD WHEEL  (23T) 
5BE-17231-00-00

GEAR, 5TH PINION  (21T) 
5BE-17151-00-00

GEAR, 3RD PINION  (18T) 
5CU-17131-01-00

FORK, SHIFT 1 
5BE-18501-20-00

FORK, SHIFT 3 
5CU-18503-20-00

Mine stops on 3rd - I can down shift, but 3rd n upward are gone. What I should I change?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Emreshafi said:

Mine stops on 3rd - I can down shift, but 3rd n upward are gone. What I should I change?

From the outside it's only a guess,

you'll only know for sure after disassembly and careful inspection of all parts.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1