Sign in to follow this  

Yahmaha Blaster, any good?

My brother and I have always drove dirtbikes fast and crazy but never a ATV. Although we do have two Polaris utility quads they are much different from a sport one. My brother is 13 about 5'7 and 160lbs. He used to ride a cr 85 but the tranny went out and he really wants to ride in the county fair this year but he doesn't have a bike. The bikes he can find in his price range around hear for a 125cc are all crappy as he is too big to get another 85cc. So I told him to check out quads because they also race the quads in the fair (Super cross setup) we were looking around at banshees and a few others like a Polaris predator 500 but were all out of the price range. Then we remembered our friend bought a blaster that stopped working but isn't gonna be fixed before the race so, we started looking at those and to our surprise they were in his price range. He has three for sure maybe a few more but three for sure and these are... 1. 2004 Yamaha blaster ysf 200sw, The guy claims his kids drove it 4 or 5 times a year and they have out grown it. It looks like it is in very good shape and it Is $1250. 2. 1999 Yamaha Blaster 200 yfs200, The machine seems in so so shape and I really don't know why he's even looking at it. It has a fmf exhaust set up, twist throttle instead of lever, dg bumper and nerf bars. He wants $1099. 3. 2000 Yamaha blaster. It has a new top end, fresh ams oil change, ngk plug, and after market bars and risers. It looks to be in good shape and he claims it starts first kick. He wants $1200

After all that which do you think is best? I personally think the 04 is the nicest of them all and isn't priced too high. He also has a lot of other options as I just checked on craigslist to tell you the info on them. It looks as though there is a lot to choose from for under $1400 from 1999 - 2004.

I would also want to know what differences there are between the years besides plastics as all of my knowledge is in DirtBikes.

Thanks!

My brother and I have always drove dirtbikes fast and crazy but never a ATV. Although we do have two Polaris utility quads they are much different from a sport one. My brother is 13 about 5'7 and 160lbs. He used to ride a cr 85 but the tranny went out and he really wants to ride in the county fair this year but he doesn't have a bike. The bikes he can find in his price range around hear for a 125cc are all crappy as he is too big to get another 85cc. So I told him to check out quads because they also race the quads in the fair (Super cross setup) we were looking around at banshees and a few others like a Polaris predator 500 but were all out of the price range. Then we remembered our friend bought a blaster that stopped working but isn't gonna be fixed before the race so, we started looking at those and to our surprise they were in his price range. He has three for sure maybe a few more but three for sure and these are... 1. 2004 Yamaha blaster ysf 200sw, The guy claims his kids drove it 4 or 5 times a year and they have out grown it. It looks like it is in very good shape and it Is $1250. 2. 1999 Yamaha Blaster 200 yfs200, The machine seems in so so shape and I really don't know why he's even looking at it. It has a fmf exhaust set up, twist throttle instead of lever, dg bumper and nerf bars. He wants $1099. 3. 2000 Yamaha blaster. It has a new top end, fresh ams oil change, ngk plug, and after market bars and risers. It looks to be in good shape and he claims it starts first kick. He wants $1200

After all that which do you think is best? I personally think the 04 is the nicest of them all and isn't priced too high. He also has a lot of other options as I just checked on craigslist to tell you the info on them. It looks as though there is a lot to choose from for under $1400 from 1999 - 2004.

I would also want to know what differences there are between the years besides plastics as all of my knowledge is in DirtBikes.

Thanks!

buy a bike.

I owned two blasters, 2002 and 2003. I sold my 2003 for $1200 and bought it for $800. It had DMC pipe, powercore 2 silencer, DG bumper, itp tires, and nerf bars. I have my 2002 stripped down to the frame for a full rebuild. I bought the 2002 for $350, got it running but it wouldnt shift past 3rd. That's when I decided to bo a completed rebuild. I love blasters because the parts are cheap and they are really easy to work on. I suggest porting the motor. Dont go crazy but just clean up the casting flows in the top end as there are many. 

Blasters are quick little machines and can be built out nicely. Buy the one that is most mechanically sound as cosmetics can be fixed easily. Enjoy!

New to this I have 05 blaster it kick over I have to rev it to keep itt going or it just dies help please