Sign in to follow this  

Washington Fires

Was at Taneum on Thursday and when I came to the first viewpoint/landing was shocked to see such a large plume from the fires up north directly above Stuart. It looked like a volcanic eruption. Man, what a crazy fire season so far. Today, the view north was much less smoky.

Joe

IMG_0232_zpsfa779032.jpg

Edited by trailmeisterjoe
  • Like 2

Joe

I saw your post the other day and it made me want to head to the hills and have a look for my self. So I took a ride up to Mt Clifty today to see what I could see from there. I was shocked as well! I'm not sure if the Ellensburge fire was burning when you were up there, bit it was raging today, and it was definitely a sight to see. And the fire up north that you took the picture of is still going strong as well. Here are some pics of the area from Mt. Clifty. I even managed to get one of a black hawk helicopter in headed toward Ellensburg. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407297799.627849.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407297870.227062.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407297982.160594.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407297995.710348.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407298007.293717.jpg

• Like 1

WA rider, the pictures I took were from last Thursday and Friday so the Saturday Ellensburg fire had not started yet.

Joe

The large plume of smoke in the pictures is from the Ellensburg fire. My silly iPone camera doesn't do any of that scenery any justice. I was going to go explore other areas today, but after I saw your post I decided to head up their and check it out. Im glad I did because it was a sight to see. And Clifty ia always a good ride too.

Thanks! Jim

friend of mine texted me about this last night, he could see the flames from his place below Taneum ridge trail.

http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/4066/

Bill, it is one trail north of taneum ridge trail.  Fire is actually on Cle elum ridge trail just before hicks butte. All of taneum is currenty closed.

Joe

ok , don't know the trail names too well. He said they are pulling water out of neighbors pond and not having to fly it too far to dump.

So...with all the fires ...whats open in the mtns now?

Little Naches side is all open, I would think you could ride north into the taneum side as long as you didn't get up into the fire area. But everything from taneum river trail south ( clifty to quartz, manashtash etc.) would be open.