Sign in to follow this  

Why do people say...

Why do people complain about 450s weighing so much more that a 250 2 stroke when in reality they weigh about 10lbs different?

-The brave may not live forever,but the cautious never live at all.-

• Like 2

It's just stupid because I was looking at a 06rm250 and a 06 kx450 and this guy is like awe man that 450 is gonna weigh to much for u blah blah blah but the 250 is 9 pounds lighter... Like 9 pounds that's not not noticeable to me at all..

• Like 1

I know this is going to seem weird.  I also know all the specs...blah blah blah.  But my son's 230cc four stroke feels a LOT heavier than my 300cc two stroke.  Not so much when riding it, just when lifting it onto the stand :excuseme:

That's weird lol! Like a beefy kid weight doesn't really affect me tho because like you said when your riding you can't really tell!! I'm switching over to a thumper from a pinger

My 15 year old son said that exact thing to me about two weeks ago :)

it's true man! If you live in a shell you can't enjoy all the danger of life! My grandma is "pussified" if you will she always is afraid of death. I look forward to live my life fast and dangerous!

it's true man! If you live in a shell you can't enjoy all the danger of life! My grandma is "pussified" if you will she always is afraid of death. I look forward to live my life fast and dangerous!

Golden.

• Like 2

Yeah the weight isn't that bad. The main difference is the way the power is delivered in the two different engines and where the weight is distributed. For me the two stroke feels more lively and responsive and the four stroke is more tractor like but with better traction and controllability. The big weight difference in feeling anyway is probably more from the gyro effect of the the bigger engine. More spinning parts equal greater rotating mass in the engine.

You'll have to adjust your style a little from your two stroke but you'll probably pick it up fast and I think you'll like it

I feel the same way. People strip bikes down to save 20 pounds. I guess I don't race so I don't understand maybe?. Most people need to lose 20 pounds themselves more than the bike.

• Like 1

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407078629.982385.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407078639.131022.jpg

First picture is 2006 rm250

Second is 2006 kx450f

There almost identical and for somebody who doesn't race why and the hell does it matter? Or is it because this guy is 5'5" and 130lbs soaking wet

Because it feels a lot heavier then 20 pounds. A 250 2t's weight is mostly low while a 450's weight is up high, raising the center of gravity and making it feel much, much heavier then the weight difference implies. If you ever get a chance to try each bike you'll feel it right away, especially in the corners and while going slow. 

Plus, it's at least 25 pounds between comparable models. 25 pounds might not sound like a lot but it is and it feels even worse then it sounds. 

Edited by leafsrule16
  • Like 1

The 4s feels a lot heavier because of rotating mass difference between the 2s and 4s motors.

I like to find a 450 that only weighs 10lb more than my 2010 KTM 250sx. Doubt it exists.

• Like 1

When I go from my WR to the FZ1- now there's 250 pounds of difference I notice right away.

2 Stroke is a lighter, more simple technology.

Want bottom end out of a two stroke? buy a bigger one.

Still lighter than a  $ stroke, cheaper to buy and mechanically far more simple.

• Like 3