Sign in to follow this  

Kx450 yes or no?

Ok so i stumbled apon a nice bike for 2,100$ I rode it and everything. He had it resleeved and a new 12:1 piston put in it. Starts 1-2 kicks idles forever doesn't stumble, revs quick doesn't back fire on let off I think it's a good running bike but I'm a 2 stroke guy never owned a 4 stroke. He said he runs diesel oil in it because it's more thicker which = better wear protection etc.. And the only thing I notice it does is when you first start it a little bit of black/blue smoke shoots out the exhaust but doesn't do it at all after that. I'm 6'0" 150lbs and a very athletic build. I'm very experienced rider. I'm mainly gonna use it for a trail bike but these trails are wide open and bunch of hill climbs. What I'm asking is,is this bike worth the 2,100$ and will it last a long time if I take care of it. I'm very good with maintenance I never half a** anything. Oh and it has a full stainless pro circuit t4 system and new countershaft sprocket,rear sprocket and renthal O-ring chainImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406965645.888347.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406965663.038276.jpg

-The brave may not live forever,but the cautious never live at all.-

-The brave may not live forever,but the cautious never live at all.

pretty much answered my post with my own quote

Sounds like a decent deal especially if you got to ride it and look it over. With the oil smoke on start up it could be old valve guide seals letting a little oil past after it sits for a while. If that's the case I would just wait until you tear it down to replace the piston and then replace the valve seals while you have the head off. I wouldn't mess with it if it's only a little puff right after startup and nothing after. I wouldn't suspect the rings if the compression is really good.

Enjoy it. The 450 will be great on the hill climbs and the wide open stuff for sure. Even nice lugging it through technical stuff.

Sounds like a decent deal especially if you got to ride it and look it over. With the oil smoke on start up it could be old valve guide seals letting a little oil past after it sits for a while. If that's the case I would just wait until you tear it down to replace the piston and then replace the valve seals while you have the head off. I wouldn't mess with it if it's only a little puff right after startup and nothing after. I wouldn't suspect the rings if the compression is really good.

Enjoy it. The 450 will be great on the hill climbs and the wide open stuff for sure. Even nice lugging it through technical stuff.

that's so much it looks like a great bike and It's gonna be sitting in my garage waiting for me to come home from vacation!! Within 2 weeks!! Feeling stoked!!