Sign in to follow this  

Grease nipple for steering stem?

So just wondering if anyone thought about putting a grease nipple for steering stem.. just a thought . I know that the steering lock gets water going in there with washes. ..just wondering if it's worth it or not. I think my 525 bearings are time to be serviced.. or fixed or whatever.. and I should do my 300 rr bearings too. It is a used bike and all...

Not a bad idea, but instead of going to the trouble to drill, tap and install a grease zerk, maybe this would fix the moisture entry problem.  It doesn't help with getting grease in there, but is a lot easier and helps keep moisture out. ;)

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1045271-what-did-you-do-to-your-beta-today/?p=11764613

• Like 1

Would have to isolate both bearings thru some type sealing, or it would take approx 12-14 oz of grease to fill the steering head.

Later George

• Like 1

Yea.. I actually have one of those caps on my 300rr ....and that is a lot of grease.. for me really usually it's usually the bottom one that gives the most trouble...  for those that have done it .is there any significant downside.. seems minor.. maybe a little grease coming out..if any?

Foam plumbing pipe wrap can take up the space. As recommended by Clay of Aloha Trials Shop on Kauai, I just got some of this from Maguire Bearing, 1919 Hau St;

http://www.thebuyingnetwork.com/AquaShield-grease-formally-Aqua-Lube-Grease-p/aqua-shield-grease.htm?1=1&CartID=0

Yea.. I actually have one of those caps on my 300rr ....and that is a lot of grease.. for me really usually it's usually the bottom one that gives the most trouble...  for those that have done it .is there any significant downside.. seems minor.. maybe a little grease coming out..if any?

• Like 1

Bad idea IMO. No amount of grease will prevent water from getting in. Any filler will just trap water. Focus on better sealing of the upper cap, oring between it and the steering head. The Scott's (BRP) tower comes with a steel cap and X ring. No water issues and my bike gets washed every ride.

• Like 1