Sign in to follow this  

YZ250F 50th Anniversary rebuild

So  I'm in the middle of rebuilding my 50th anni and thought i could share a few photos some of you might find interesting! It didn't necessarily need rebuilding, its in pretty good nick apart from a couple of damaged plastics and the powder coated frame and rims rubbed back to silver in places... but I just fancied doing it, i broke my collar bone a couple of months back and wanted something to do... but didn't really get stuck in until i was all sorted!

list of changes....

full new plastics + acerbis hand guards

new graphics kit

frame, swingarm and rear rim powder coated

new front rim

two new tyres

new wheel bearings

new swing arm linkage bearings

steering head bearings and races

fork seals and oil

new chain, front and rear sprockets

new chain slider and roller

brake pads

rear brake and gear level

crankcase covers

new cam chain and top end gasket kit (was rebuilt aprx 30hrs ago so leaving it for now)

not a cheap rebuild considering it didn't look too bad before i started!

DSC05756.JPG

DSC_0060.jpg

strip down

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0014.JPG

DSC_0024.JPG

DSC_0025.JPG

fork service

DSC_0076.JPG

rebuilding new front rim

DSC_0089.JPG

DSC_0087.JPG

frame ready for the paint shop 

DSC_0033.JPG

plastics arrived - 3 weeks later! still gotta wait about 7 weeks for the graphics to arrive from america, which are on back order ...apparently there are no 50th anni graphics in australasia...

DSC_0115.JPG

DSC05749.JPG

• Like 2

having some problems with the new top end - put a new JE Piston & rings in and a Cylinder works cylinder. Made sure the ring gaps were in the right place as per the JE spec and ring end gaps were within spec, new gaskets and now she's all back together there is no compression - and i mean no pressure from the plug at all.

I wasn't 100% when doing the piston change because of using two different brands...thinking i should have stuck with standard piston & cylinder and followed manual - I'm guessing it would be something to do with the piston to cylinder gap? which i didn't actually check, but it seemed a snug fit when i cranked it over a few times before fitting valve block, any ideas?

timings good,

Cheers

How much did that pipe help? I have had the same pipe on my old crf, and it helped. But if it doesn't wake up this yzf enough, I will keep the $750.00