Sign in to follow this  

Removing exhaust restriction?

In the middle of getting my bike jetted as well as I can,was going to buy a new exhaust but funds won't allow for that due to another purchase so will stick with my pro circuit exhaust for another few months at least,still having a few problems getting the jetting spot on and since I removed all the restrictions in the intake side of things with a KX airbox I want to make sure the exhaust side is up to par.

When I first got the exhaust(pro circuit header,pro circuit ti4 muffler) first thing I did was cut off the arrestor screen and put the insert back in,I have now removed the insert as to me it just looks like a restriction,is it safe to do this? it does leave the end cap with the folded lip at the end-will this mess up flow at all since it isn't folded flat?

photo30_zpsf9cf574b.jpg

photo28_zpsbd51d8c0.jpg

photo29_zps9165bd17.jpg

Can I safely run my exhaust like this? the bike does seem to run better and feels more crisp,down side to that is slightly more noise but I will put up with that if I can jet better this way

I would put the insert back in and jet to suit as the noise will be too loud, especially for the poor bloke thats following you. Noisy bikes are our biggest problem pissing people off , and the power you lose is fk all.

You won,t hurt the engine by running no restricter and lip on the end will only help with noise reduction and no power loss.  you should have ample power down low with your larger valves. How is your jetting going did you end up going with a 170 main. My Klx has very crisp jetting 42 pj , 4th clip on needle , 155 main with stock kx system with a 30mm baffle in the end.

Kym

Ill leave insert in then,it still has a 170 main but it feels flat at wide open throttle and a little flat down low,mid range is good,i'm assuming then that the 170 is too big but i'm not seeing a rich condition when pulling the plug which is the reason I haven't gone smaller on the main jet yet,I have a 165 I can try,how come you have gone smaller on the pilot jet?