Sign in to follow this  

Uneven Brake Pad Wear

I just noticed that the inside pad on my front brake is worn about twice as much as the outer pad. The wheel spins freely so the caliper isnt sticking, at least not permanently. I recently had the caliper apart and cleaned and lubed it real well, so I'm not sure what the deal is. I remember hearing a squeaking/scraping sound when applying the brake last time I rode it, but it doesn't happen consistently and goes away as soon as I let off the brake. Also, there is no sign of any scrapes or gouges in the disc. Perhaps something got lodged between the pad and the caliper and forced it against the disc thereby wearing it down prematurely. Who knows. I suppose I'll have to take it apart and have a look. I'd say the outer pad has about 3/16" of pad whereas the inner one is about 1/16". Should I go ahead and replace them? FYI, they are the original pads (bike is an '04).

Edited by mossman77

the disc on the 230 is thin and can flex. just because your wheel spins freely does not mean that the caliper is not sticking or binding at some point.

you should inspect the two pins that the caliper slides on, clean and lubricate (I use never seize). do this often if you run through creeks or mud holes.

also if you have had a fork leak, one of the pads may have been coated in fork oil. they never work the same if this has occurred.

I lost a leg seal in a race and I had to stop in the pits and wrap paper towels around the fork to keep the oil off of the caliper. I sprayed the pads with carb cleaner to remove the oil already present just to finish...

after repairing the seal and many pad cleaning attempts I just had to get new set...

• Like 1

the disc on the 230 is thin and can flex. just because your wheel spins freely does not mean that the caliper is not sticking or binding at some point.

you should inspect the two pins that the caliper slides on, clean and lubricate (I use never seize). do this often if you run through creeks or mud holes.

also if you have had a fork leak, one of the pads may have been coated in fork oil. they never work the same if this has occurred.

I lost a leg seal in a race and I had to stop in the pits and wrap paper towels around the fork to keep the oil off of the caliper. I sprayed the pads with carb cleaner to remove the oil already present just to finish...

after repairing the seal and many pad cleaning attempts I just had to get new set...

+1 on the above. Once you get both pads contacting correctly you should have more effective braking. Replace the pads. Clean and lube the sliders.

I disassembled the caliper a couple months ago, cleaned it, and lubed the pins, but I suppose some mud could have very well gotten in there again (I have hit some patches of deep mud since then). 

They looked just fine two months ago. Im sure it will become obvious once I get the caliper apart.

I was mistaken. The pads are not worn unevenly. They are just fine. Guess it was the angle at which I was looking at them.