Sign in to follow this  

2006 TTR 90 jumped time

Hi. I'm new to TT and have read alot of good things here. I am having a problem with my sons TTR 90 and could sure use some advice. He was riding the bike and stopped for a minute at idle then the motor reved and then died. I checked spark, fuel and compression then I took it to the dealer. After checking it out was told "it jumped time, it will cost as much if not more than the bike is worth to repair it." Then the call from the salesman... 

Anyway, I verified the timing was off. With the cam mark aligned the crank mark is not visable, either is the piston.

With the crank marker aligned the cam marker is at the 6 o'clock position and I can see the piston.

Would this indicate the cam side jumped?

At this point if anybody has recomendations I would appreciate them. Thanks

In the automotive world, engines can be considered 'interference' or 'non-interference'. The first one means lots of bad things happen if cam timing goes off, as in valves contacting pistons. Not sure which the 90 is. When it revved and died, did it makr any expensive noises? How about when you tried to restart it, was it hard the first couple kicks then got easier?

Do you have tools and mechanical aptitude? Rip it apart. It'll be cheaper than a new bike.

Thanks for the feedback. I got tools and aptitude and I'm going in. I'd like a good reference to go to though, any recommendations on shop manuals?

Manualslib.com has it. You can download a PDF version too.

Thanks Jeckler