Sign in to follow this  

What if I shorted out my CDI?

I'm looking for some help on a grounding issue I'm having while doing a blinker install on my 2007 450x. I've read every post I can find on the internet but the most helpful info was found here. So I feel fairly confident I've lost he ground from the CDI, grey wire. I must have shorted it during the install.

My biggest concern is what other issues will I experience if this has happened? If it only effects the tail light, what other solutions are there to get a ground that will be on only when the bike is running.

I don't want to replace the CDI if the only problem I'll experience is the ground issue. But certainly will if there will be other issues like charging of the battery or ignition issues.

Thanks for everyone's help on this matter.

Not sure about the wire color, but yes it is easy to do.

You have to do a 'work-around' for the tail light/brake light. 

In my experience, no other functions are affected when you loose that ground.

It's been years since I have done one. As I recall it's just a matter of making your own harness for ground and hot that bypasses the stock one.

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm new to TT and just moved up from a 250R to the X. I read and research about my toys like it's an obsession. I just couldn't get an answer to this one.

I see you helping out others all the time so thanks for this one as well.

Id like to hear some good suggestions for the work around. I really like the thought of the light only being on when the bike is running, without the use of a switch as I'll likely forget to turn it off at times. I need to hook up the light for my plate also and was hoping to tie them all together.

Try running a relay so that it is triggered when the factory tail light turns on. Then just tie the the hot end of the relay to the battery and a power distribution block you get from radio Shack. One side of the block posative one side grounded to the battery.

I shorted my ground wire as well two years ago and I havent had any other issues with the cdi. I bought a trailtech regulator that have an output that only is active when the bike is running. The regulator also has a adjustable timer if you want the lights to be on for some time after you kill the engine.

That Trailteck regulator sounds like a great option also. I've got to spend some time on it tonight. I hope to have it ready for inspection on Monday.

In Australia the X comes with a plate so the bike has full electrics. The electrics are powered by a relay triggered from the bikes OE wiring so things only work when the engine is running. They also have key but that is more of an anti theft thing (easy to bypass though). You can leave the key on for days and the battery will not go flat.

So here's what I did with the help of a friend that is more electrically inclined.

I really wanted to power the break light and plate light only when the bike was running, just like the grey ground wire would have done as a ground. So we checked all the wires for one that only had power when the bike was running. There were 3 of them. We used the black with red stripe( It runs to the clutch switch ) wired in a resister switch and voilà, break light and plate light on only when the bike is running.

This was a complete custom set up. All parts were individually sourced. If I had to do it all over again I'd buy a complete Baja Designs kit with harness for ease of installation. Although I took my time and did a tidy job, it took too long.